Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.

Visual Effects on Objects

Discussion in 'Visual Effect Graph' started by yousseffotouh2013, Mar 31, 2020.

1. yousseffotouh2013

yousseffotouh2013

Is there a way i can set visual effects on an object inside Unity ?
    For example if i have a 3D Arc shape (half circle) and i want to set it on fire or electrocute it.
    Is this possible inside Unity ? Or does it have to be made externally by 3D software such as Blender or Max...etc?

2. Olmi

Olmi

Hi @yousseffotouh2013,

You could bake the object to a point cache and then use those positions with Visual Effect Graph. You can set initial positions with Set Position From Map block.

This would probably work most of the cases where you need some effect to spawn on an object surface.

Just ask if you need more help with this.

3. yousseffotouh2013

yousseffotouh2013

Hello @Olmi ,
    I would appreciate your help in doing this.
    I'm not an expert in Unity or other 3D modelling softwares , so i would like to know more details from you about how this is done.
    Also by doing some search about this topic , i understand that i can use "Shape" property inside a particle system and assign an objects mesh , so that the particle system would emit on this object... I'm not sure if i got this right , and i'm not sure also how to get an objects mesh... what do you think ?

4. Olmi

Olmi

Visual Effect Graph and particle system are two different things, but with VEG you would bake your desired mesh with Window/Visual Effecs/Utilities/Point Cache Bake Tool. Then, when you have your data baked and saved, you use Point Cache operator, drop the baked mesh into the slot and connect the point cache to a set position from map block.
    Now your basic particle system will spawn particles from those baked mesh points.

See this image: set_position_from_map.PNG

I suggest you just create those preset systems, and then start experimenting what happens when you change some values etc. :)

Those example systems provide starting points which output particles to the screen so you don't have to start guess work with a black screen like is the case with some software...

5. yousseffotouh2013

yousseffotouh2013

Thank you for your help @Olmi , i have not worked with VEG before , so i will experiment with it.
    If you also know a good video tutorial for this process , i would appreciate if you post a link here.