Search Unity

Visual Effects Graph in Built In Render Pipline

Discussion in 'Visual Effect Graph' started by protopop, Jun 5, 2021.

1. protopop

protopop

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Shadergraph and VFX are likely headed to built-in too.

3. protopop

protopop

That would be cool. The asset suggests that VFX is available for built in now though. But ive never heard this before.

Screen Shot 2021-06-05 at 11.37.41 AM.png

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Probably just Unity's moving parts moving faster or slower than other parts. It'll end up somewhere sane eventually :)

protopop likes this.
  5. protopop

protopop

Yeah, I just installed it in Unity 2019.4 - im surprised because I had no idea Visual Effects Graph could be imported in a Built In Render pipeline project. ill test it out in a bit.

Screen Shot 2021-06-06 at 9.10.48 AM.png

6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

You'd probably need to build shaders manually for it if they haven't ported shadergraph to that version of Unity's Built-In pipeline though. I'm guessing 2021.2x+

protopop likes this.
  7. Vita-

Vita-

Unity Technologies

Hi everyone,

Just to clarify things out, VFX Graph is not officially supported and there are no plans to support it with Built-in pipeline. Hence, we greatly recommend using VFX Graph with rendering pipelines.

Speaking of Shader Graph, yes, it is gonna be supported with built-in pipeline (2021.2). Here's the PR confirming that.

Let me know, if I can answer any further questions.

Cheers

Linearch, hippocoder and protopop like this.
  8. protopop

protopop

That's too bad - I was looking forward to trying it. But i understand, and thanks for letting me know :)

9. lloydsummers

lloydsummers

I can confirm, it works with Visual Effects Graph 7.3.1 and 10.4.0 with the Standard Pipeline.

You'll need to open the VFX and press Compile on each one (there are about 9 of them).

- Install the VFX version
    - Optional: Install Post Processing
    - Install the Ignis
    - Optional: Setup the post-processing layers
    - Compile the fire VFX

10. andybak

andybak

11. KingCeryn

KingCeryn

Frankensteing this thread, anyone have this working on any 2021.3.11+ LTS version?

12. smash-ter

smash-ter

A bit too late to say this but if it previous versions worked with Built-In why the regression? I am glad that Shader Graph is in 2021 Built in but it would be great to have it supported in 2023.

13. kripto289

kripto289

Why the shader graph is supported in builtin but VFX graph not supported?
    In your opinion, how should I support and create effects? Create 3 separate projects and create new VFX graphs in each project?
    Who came up with 3 different and incompatible renderings?
    As assetstore developer, I don't want to maintain my assets anymore. Thanks.

14. TokyoWarfareProject

TokyoWarfareProject

I think that such a key feature should be available across. Also it makes mad how Unity takes as excuse to abandon support for built in in favour of RP when in RPs stuff has been broken and WIP like forever.

laurentlavigne and VirtusH like this.
  15. Shikoq

Shikoq

Hope Built-in RP will be depricated ASAP. It's pain to support such inflexible and clunky rendering.

Genebris likes this.
  16. TokyoWarfareProject

TokyoWarfareProject

Built in RP is a perfectly working solution that works out of the box in Xbox One, Series, PS4. 5, PC, Linux, delivers performantly and has been abandoned in favour of forever WIP scriptable RPs which now start to be somewhat become usable in production.

17. protopop

protopop

I agrée. I use Built In and have released several games with it. I hope it continues to have support from Unity.

18. smash-ter

smash-ter

From what I've been told compiled shaders on the SRPs are a lot more bloated compared to compiling shaders on Built-in. In my own opinion, Unity could have just continued to improve the built in pipeline or made SRP an extension of built in rather than create a replacement and making asset development a lot more difficult.

protopop likes this.
  19. Shikoq

Shikoq

Legacy RP, which you call "Built-in", is extremely different in its core. They cannot coexist with the concept of SRP.
    It's agony and hard work to maintain multiple pipelines at the same time. Not only for us, as developers, as asset manufacturers, but also for unity developers. LegacyRP scales extremely poorly, it expands poorly. It is difficult to integrate new features into it, to test them. It's closed, after all, it's a black box.

Once upon a time, there was a fixed pipeline on GPUs, there were no programmable shaders. It was abandoned. It's the same here - you just have to abandon the Built-in pipeline. The time has come.

IMC-Lab likes this.
  20. protopop

protopop

Why don't we have parity after more than half a decade if scriptable render pipelines are so much more flexible?

Chrisad and smash-ter like this.
  21. Shikoq

Shikoq

What functional have LegacyRP that haven't in SRP? Or can't be added yourself?

22. lloydsummers

lloydsummers

I think you answered that question yourself. It you need to create it yourself in URP, but it exists in BiRP, and the only advantage is a questionable performance gain - then it is just a make work project for yourself.

The reality is that BiRP performs just fine on any platform and until recently anyway, URP actually performed worse in one to one projects on Vulcan.

So, the question becomes what is the goal? Why have 3 separate rendering pipelines where shaders need to be created three times? Triple the work for the same outcome. It's no wonder people are annoyed with it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm warming up to URP. And if we don't completely abandon unity over its industry pricing, we will end up needing to adopt it at some point. But paying some dev on your team to recreate shader after shader because of a possible 5 to 10% performance increase that could just be handled by proper asset management isn't something that companies or individuals should be excited about.

That said, I agree, it should be one pipeline that's flexible to all. Right now new developers are still spamming discord and forum posts asking why their BiRP custom shadeded assets from wherever are pink in the scenes. It's setting people up for failure before they even begin.

But I digress. I read their point as why use URP (and manually recreate a bunch of things or see limitations like max number of lights or encounter issues like shadow failures due to URP bugs) versus something built in that 'just works'.