Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Visual Effects Graph causing long load times for scenes

Discussion in 'Visual Effect Graph' started by nekema12, Aug 11, 2022.

1. nekema12

nekema12

Hello, I am currently dealing with an issue where my scenes are hanging for awhile before they will launch which is causing timeouts and some scenes never to load at all. We've narrowed it down to vfx graph as the problem for the long load times by removing some particle systems from the level and not seeing the issue any longer.

For example, if I have an emitter spawning a rate of 2000 particles with a capacity of 5000 and dupe that around a large scene to have about 20 instances of it, on load of the scene it can take almost 10-15 minutes for the scene to load which will cause it to timeout and never launch when built. I've tried also nesting all the systems inside one with the same result. Is there any reason why Application.UpdateScene would be running for so long with this many effects graphs? Once the scene has loaded the performance is just fine and everything in editor and play mode works just fine so seems the actual particle fx aren't performing poorly.

I have some scenes with 30-40 vfx graph instances but they are spawning much lower amounts of particles (20-30 each probably) and those scenes seem to load up fine without much issue, but when editing the actual effect itself, I get long load times maybe 3-5 minutes just to load the graph. Are these typical results or is there optimization I can do to fix it?

upload_2022-8-11_11-17-23.png

Currently running Unity v2021.3.1f1

Specs:
    Ryzen 9 5900x 12-core
    64 GBs
    Windows 10
    GeForce RTX 3070 Ti

2. nekema12

nekema12

After some more time looking into the problem. I think it is related to PreWarm since this is using a very high step count and delta time in the prewarm settings.
    still want this to be built up over time, but solution has been to just move the GameObject downwards a bit to compensate for the lifetime

upload_2022-8-11_13-19-3.png

Last edited: Aug 11, 2022