Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Visual effect graph particles are not visible in Scene or Game but outline selection shows particles

Discussion in 'Visual Effect Graph' started by Trumsey, Mar 27, 2021.

1. Trumsey

Trumsey

Hi,

I'm using Unity 2020.3.0f1 Personal and experiencing a bug where my visual effect graph particles are not visible in Scene or Game. The Gizmos outline selection shows the particles moving/behaving as normal, but the particles themselves are not seen. The particle system is correctly rendering, just not the visual effect graph.

Example below:

upload_2021-3-27_8-25-54.png

I'm using URP with 2D Renderer Data (using the shadow script):
    upload_2021-3-27_8-37-45.png

upload_2021-3-27_8-37-58.png

I've been through 20+ threads trying various settings tweaks in the camera, project settings, etc...

Please let me know if you have any suggestions or need to see any more info, I'm very new to Unity but would love to figure this out. Thanks!

2. Korindian

Korindian

Have you checked if the Bounds setting of your VFX Graph is too small? This leads to the effect not being visible when the bounds of the effect is not in the camera view. Or could it be a problem with the transparency sorting of the effect?

3. Nisetie

Nisetie

I have this problem after switching from URP Renderer to URP 2D Renderer. All visual effects became invisible in Scene and Game views. I'm using Unity 2020.2.2f1.

4. VladVNeykov

VladVNeykov

Unity Technologies

Hi all,
    The VFX 2D renderer support is just being added now and should be available in 2021.2 once the pull request lands.

5. Nisetie

Nisetie

Good.

What about 2020 LTS?

6. VladVNeykov

VladVNeykov

Unity Technologies

A backport of the VFX 2D renderer support is not planned for 2020 LTS.
    Backports, especially to LTS version, generally include only critical bugfixes.

7. moldemort

moldemort

Hello guys,I have the same problem. Today I first added VFX and then URP (both in version 7.3.1) to my project. I created some fog effect which renders correctly in the preview:
    upload_2021-4-21_23-0-23.png
    I can also see that the gizmos in the scene view look fine, but I cant figure out how to get the actual effect visible in the game/scene. This is how the object looks like:
    upload_2021-4-21_22-59-44.png

is there something wrong with the way I am using the URP?
    upload_2021-4-21_23-1-40.png

Thanks a lot for any hint!

8. VladVNeykov

VladVNeykov

Unity Technologies

Hey @moldemort ,

Looks like all your scene view extras are disabled, Visual Effects is one of the things you can toggle on/off in the scene view to help you navigate around. Try turning it on here and see if it resolves your issue.

Attached Files:

9. moldemort

moldemort

Hi Vlad,
    thanks a lot for your reply. I did not know about the scene view extras (rather new to unity), so thanks for making me aware of it. It didnt solve my problem tho. After doing some research, I noticed that there are more people with similar problems - it appears there is currently something wrong with VFX in combination with 2D Renderer data. Indeed, for my first attempt I used a default forward renderer, but after exchanging it with a 2D Renderer, even the preview does no longer show the fog particle:
    upload_2021-4-26_9-37-54.png

Anyway, I guess for my purpose the "old" particle system is more than sufficient :)

VladVNeykov likes this.
  10. VladVNeykov

VladVNeykov

Unity Technologies

Hi @moldemort ,

Yes, we aim to support the VFX Graph in the URP 2D Renderer for the 2021.2 release.
    The first step will be just making it work and sort properly, we will still need to do a deeper integration with the various other 2D features down the road (2D lights, masks, etc.) As you pointed out, the built-in particle system might be the better option for the moment for this scenario :)

11. moldemort

moldemort

Hi Vlad,

thank you again for your quick reply. Maybe I can ask you one more question:
    I just watched another video from unity, trying to get some "sunshine" into my scene:

I dont get to see any additional light in my scene, maybe because either
    1. my sprites are already rather bright?
    2. Do I need to change the URP to LWRP?
    3. I got it all wrong and I should have used the Universal Project Template instead of the 2D template when I started my project?

EDIT: Ok I managed now to get the light illuminate one of the layers in the scene, so I guess I will need to experiment a little more with it, but thats not a topic for this thread.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
    VladVNeykov likes this.
  12. vbarisbuyukturk

vbarisbuyukturk

Hello, the solution to this problem is quite simple.

Click on your particle system -> Click on "Renderer" -> Click on "order In Layer" and + (a number higher than your sprite) ;)

syshex and LevelUpProgamer like this.
  13. jack_107

jack_107

Its not a particle system, its a visual effect graph, it has no renderer tab.

14. snkzlky

snkzlky

it doesn't show the effect in game mode because it stays behind the camera.

15. SMT5015

SMT5015

So, basically, there is no way to use it in 2D URP? (The problem still exists for me)

16. vbarisbuyukturk

vbarisbuyukturk

I think you're in the wrong place or new to unity etc. I answered the question asked. And "particles are not visible" in the question asked. This may not be your problem. This is someone else's question and answer. And the solution to this problem is always in the layers. Don't talk to talk if you don't have a solution.

17. VladVNeykov

VladVNeykov

Unity Technologies

Hey @SMT5015 , apologies, missed the question, but as I said 2D URP support for the VFX Graph landed last year in 2021.2, so if you are on that or a newer version, you should be able to view VFX Graphs when using the 2D renderer, sort them with sprites in the scene, etc. If you are experiencing any problems with this, please share a bit more info or log an issue and we can take a look.

18. SMT5015

SMT5015

Oh. I'm on 2020.3.17f1 (The last installed before my hub began to cancel installing anything). Glad to hear, will try to update.

VladVNeykov likes this.
  19. adithyasambari

adithyasambari

Someone help me please as the gloom effect is not happening in the vfx graph...

20. amitbt69

amitbt69

Something is wrong, I can see the visual effect only when edit tab is open. If I close it, the visual effect disappears on the game mode and scene mode. Is it a bug or am I missing something?

Using unity 2022.2.5f1 on mac m1.
    Please help.

sekimoto_zener likes this.