Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Visual artifacts in Unity 2019.3.0b6 and above version

Discussion in '2019.3 Beta' started by Octane-Test, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Octane-Test

Octane-Test

Hi,

I need help in resolving visual artifacts which only appear intermittently at unpredictable times. These artifacts can be seen in the editor’s viewport and also when deployed on a variety of iOS devices.

I have set up a 3D cylinder in Unity which is created using small cylindrical segments snapped to each other. I have a requirement where the material needs to have specular properties.

I have uploaded two screenshots which are taken from the same exact setup created in Unity. One of the screenshots shows the visual artifacts while the other screenshot doesn’t show the visual artifacts. These visual artifacts randomly appear and can be fixed temporarily in the editor viewport by making changes to either “Optimize Mesh” or “Normals” settings in the mesh files import properties.

However, these artifacts soon randomly appear again in both the editor viewport and devices. I can fix them again temporarily in the editor viewport by reverting any changes I made to “Optimize Mesh” or “Normals” in the mesh files import properties and then the cycle starts again.

How can I fix these visual artifacts which appear randomly?

An image that has issues:
    lines.PNG

Image without issues:
    without lines.PNG

Note:

1. I am using Blender files (.blend) in Unity which are created using Blender v2.80
    2. I am using Unity 2019.3.0b6 (beta) and above versions
    3. I won’t be able to use .fbx mesh files instead of .blend files because that would involve too much re-work in this point in the project

2. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Could you please submit a bug report with a minimal reproduction project for this issue?

Octane-Test likes this.
  3. Octane-Test

Octane-Test

Thank you for your reply. I will get back to you with requirements as soon as possible.

LeonhardP likes this.
  4. Octane-Test

Octane-Test

@LeonhardP We figured out that the issue was happening due to one custom normals calculation script. This issue was not because of Unity.

LeonhardP likes this.