Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Vision Pro development: Restricted to the Pro Tier forever?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by waldgeist, Mar 27, 2024.

1. waldgeist

waldgeist

I just went on the Unity Pro subscription page and saw that Vision Pro development is now officially listed there. I originally thought that this would only be the case during the Beta phase, to limit the amount of devs bombarding Unity support with requests. Is it really planned to keep this limitation? This would have a major impact on our decision to using Unity on that platform.

2. Noisecrime

Noisecrime

I can kind of understand the reason for that, if you can afford a Vision Pro, you should probably be able to afford Unity Pro, but it still doesn't sit right with me. I've not looked but are you literally locked out of developing for Vision Pro until you subscribe to Pro?

Over the last 6 months Unity have shown themselves to be clawing to increase income from its customers and I don't think they have thought it through. I can't be the only person in my position to have fallen through the cracks? The Plus subscription was perfect for me and my business, I would have been ok with the price getting bumped up a bit, but the leap to Pro is 5 x the cost! Where has the middle ground gone?

3. bugfinders

bugfinders

sometimes i do feel it is a little disappointing that they hide the consoles and so on behind the pay firewall, as some of us make stuff for free, and so dont need to pay for pro, but, should we want to expand in that area, now we would, and just because we spent money on say a vision pro, because we want to play with one, doesnt mean we need a 2k unity bill on top :D

4. Ryiah

Ryiah

Console development (ignoring the weird indie tier on Xbox) isn't free. A developer kit is mandatory to ship a game and that's just the upfront cost. There are additional costs during the submission process. It's very expensive. So if you can't afford a single year of Unity Pro you can't afford console development.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2024
  5. bugfinders

bugfinders

Maybe, but ive never looked beyond the fact id need to buy a pro license of unity to do it, so the costs on top of that, just add to a pile..

6. Pitou22

Pitou22

I think this might be one technical reason on why the Vision Pro development is restricted to Unity Pro:

XR project validation: "[VisionOS - Splash Screen] Splash screen is not yet supported for visionOS. If the splash screen is enabled, you may have errors when building or when running your application in the simulator or in the device."

Of course if you click "fix", it can't disable the splashscreen (tested on Unity 2022.3.22f1 personnal).

I hope the support will be given to everyone when this issue will be fixed and on Unity 6 that can disable the splashscreen for personnal licenses.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2024
    Ruslank100, Noisecrime and Ryiah like this.
  7. Unifikation

Unifikation

How did Epic get on making Unreal engine work with Vision Pro despite their legal battles with Apple?

If Epic hasn't been able to get their engine into the Vision Pro ecosystem/platform, or is handicapped in doing so, that would provide a fairly unique monopoly market for Unity, only competition is Apple's own "engines" which aren't really game engines.

In which case I can't see Unity feeling the need to "democratise" game development for the Vision Pro. Hence Go Pro of Go Home... or somesuch.

8. Murgilod

Murgilod

Except Unreal Engine 5 is getting Vision Pro support, it's just taking time. Stop making up weird conspiracies, especially ones that hinge on the idea that licenses make up any reasonable amount of income for Unity,

spiney199 likes this.
  9. Ryiah

Ryiah

Apple wants their device to be successful, and locking out an engine hurts developers more than it does Epic.

10. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

Apple is known to hold firmly to their decisions. They singlehandedly destroyed Flash after all (as a flash gamer like myself I find that was an invaluable part of the internet and definitely fixable if there really were safety issues).
    Therefore I'd be surprised if they officially let Epic onto the Vision Pro in the near future. It's not a conspiracy since it's all public.

Does of course not answer why Unity is restrictive. Keeping the amount of required support needed low and hoping for an incentive for Pro licences is also my best guess.
    Hopefully it's temporary.
    In the words of AL-AN: "Nothing is permanent."

11. Murgilod

Murgilod

Apple didn't "singlehandedly destroy Flash" and this is a ridiculously ahistorical argument. Adobe was completely unable to deliver a working version of Flash on mobile that wasn't an absolute resource hog, which is why they even deprecated the Android version of Flash back in 2012. On top of that, Flash use in browsers was already rapidly declining in desktop browsers not just because of security issues but because of performance ones. Flash was expensive to maintain, ran poorly and was being edged out by native apps on mobile (both iOS and Android).

Adobe killed Flash. Nobody else.
    Except this isn't the case either. Straight from the horse's mouth:
    This is from February.
    https://forums.unrealengine.com/t/support-for-apple-vision-pro-in-unreal/1190042/40

12. Unifikation

Unifikation

Cheers.

That's all I need to come out of hiatus and switch to Unreal.

THANK YOU.

13. Unifikation

Unifikation

@DragonCoder

This is about correct.

But for a few other things little. The switch to OOP in AS3 took out all the creatives that had pushed Flash to being cool, long before the above. Meaning there wasn't much goodwill left towards Flash from users (nothing cool coming for years) nor the creative crowds that loved the older versions churning out new reasons for it to be cool

And there was an anomaly that kept flash going during the post AS3 malaise (no, not corporate use). YOUTUBE! Flash video was the fallback for ages, and ages, due to some licensing issues with... H264, which was primarily controlled by Apple.

Meaning, in all reality, Apple actually kept Flash alive far longer than anyone else did by providing a reason for it to continue for far longer than anyone else needed it, on the number one video site of all time. This meant everyone needed it in their browsers for quite a long time... etc.

Ergo, Apple actually made Flash live longer, on more browsers, than anyone else, by virtue of their stubbornness, perhaps.