Search Unity

Visibility Lines dont show up for Occlusion Culling

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by radiantboy, Mar 24, 2015.

1. ArachnidAnimal

ArachnidAnimal

Ok, thanks for checking into it. , at least now I have warmer feeling the issues have been addressed and will be resolved in 5.3. If worse comes to worse I could hold off until 5.3, it's not a huge deal, but I can't speak for anyone else having similar struggles on this thread, though.

karl_jones likes this.
  2. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

The developer believes the fix should be finalised in about 2-3 weeks so it should be available before 5.3 although 5.3 is not that far away.

jimmikaelkael likes this.
  3. PolarTron

PolarTron

Happy to hear that this is being worked on. This is currently a blocker for our game, Among the Sleep, as reverting to a pre 5.2.1p2 version is not do-able beacuse it fixed an audio issue we've been having.
    We're closing in on the certification soft deadline on Xbox/PS4 and if this could be released as a quick patch we would be really happy.

What we are having problems with is that realtime lights stop working when hard shadows are enabled and occlusion data has been baked. We don't need a full fix on the whole occlusion system, just that.

4. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Do you have bug ids for your issues? I can look into them and see about getting them into a patch if they are not already.

5. PolarTron

PolarTron

6. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Thanks. Its waiting to be verified by QA at the moment, I have given them a poke.

PolarTron likes this.
  7. LeonH

LeonH

Thanks, Karl. There is a thread full of people experiencing that exact issue, with no feedback yet:

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/un...orking-occlusion-problem.358661/#post-2339290

We too have a project that is supposed to be entering cert next month on multiple platforms, and that issue is currently a major blocker for us. We shouldn't even be taking more updates at this point, but we have no choice...please poke someone to get the fix in asap-- it was working fine up through 5.2.1p1, but broke in 5.2.1p2.

karl_jones likes this.
  8. OneThree

OneThree

Add us to the list of teams that really needs this fix. We aren't about to enter cert, but we've been stuck on 5.2.0f3 because all of the builds after that made the editor unusable with P4 integration. Now that's finally fixed in 5.2.1p4, but our game is almost entirely based on shadowcasting realtime lights, so it's pitch black now. And clearing occlusion data makes it unusably slow.

So we might have to roll back to 5.2.0f3 again, and miss out on all the fixes that've been done since then, if there isn't a resolution to this issue.

I'd definitely recommend adding data from the thread LeonH posted to the FogBugz report, as the official bug doesn't include the info that turning shadows off on lights allows them to be drawn again (though this of course has other bad side effects).

karl_jones likes this.
  9. DarthDisembowel

DarthDisembowel

10. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

We have a fix for this now. Should be out in the near future, not sure of an exact patch version at this time.

LeonH and jimmikaelkael like this.
  11. Desktopdaydreams

Desktopdaydreams

@karl.jones sounds great. Thank you for the continued updates, hopefully we can finally move on with some optimization.

12. PolarTron

PolarTron

Would it be possible to push for getting it into this weeks patch release? Deadline is really close for us.

13. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Unfortunately not, the fix has still not gone through code review and this weeks patch closes today. It should be possible to get it into next weeks providing the fix does not have any issues raised.

PolarTron likes this.
  14. DarthDisembowel

DarthDisembowel

Looks like the server is getting slammed by people downloading 5.2.2p2; I guess I was the only one waiting for urgent fixes. But I don't see anything about a fix for the occlusion helpers, only the fix for realtime light being ignored by occlusion. Has anyone checked yet? My download will take another 45 minutes.

15. LeonH

LeonH

I just finished eval'ing 5.2.2p2 with a fresh reimport of the entire project. No, the visualization helpers are not fixed. Incidentally, the issue with realtime lights is not fixed either, despite the release notes saying otherwise.

16. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Has someone got a bug id for the missing visibility lines?
    The real time lights is fixed for the bug report we had although it seems some people are still having issues. If you are able to recreate the problem please submit a bug. I have tried but it all seems to be working for me.

17. LeonH

LeonH

Several comments in this thread have other bug IDs, but mine is case 730410. It's been over a month so I don't remember for sure, but I probably did not include a repro project for that one because the bug exhibits in any project.

18. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Thanks. Its always a good idea to include an example project, It automatically gives the report a higher rating so it gets looked at sooner. The reason why is explained here.

19. LeonH

LeonH

Yeah, I'm aware of that system. Unfortuntely, the time constraints I am working within are not loosened by Unity's self-defeating decisions about how to prioritize bug reports. :p

20. Desktopdaydreams

Desktopdaydreams

Morning folks,

Looking at the release notes for UNITY 5.2.3 it looks like there's a fix for the occlusion culling pre-visualisation tools in the editor. I'm just downloading the update.

Has anyone tested this and has the occlusion results improved?

EDIT: Where are my manners, thanks @karl.jones !

karl_jones likes this.
  21. jimmikaelkael

jimmikaelkael

For me the bug mentionned in this thread is fixed by 5.2.3f1.
    But after testing occlusion culling it seems its efficiency is quite strange: in a test scene (a 1st person player enclosed in a corridor, with big rooms behing corners) I get a lot of objects being culled by umbra, I can check this with the visualize mode.
    However it seems I still get a high batches count that does not reflect the few objects that still visible with the visualization mode... I still not get it.

EDIT: Ok, I refined my umbra settings and now the efficiency is way much better. However I still think the visualization mode does not reflect exactly what is currently being drawn.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  22. scottb9239

scottb9239

Sorry to bring up this old thread, but I found an odd problem with the occlusion culling that will make a lot of people confused as to what it's doing. I submitted a bug for this back in October, but had no response (bug 739220).

https://fogbugz.unity3d.com/default.asp?739220_ab19fd86u63njok3

When you bake the culling and run the game in the editor, everything looks fine. But if you load another scene and then come back to the original baked level and hit play, the culling is not working as well (and subsequently the number of batches has gone up from before, even with the camera in exactly the same place on both tries).

Parts of rooms next door that were completely culled are now for the most part fully displayed. Also occlusion portals now do not work when the scene is reloaded, but worked great right after the bake before switching scenes. I have tested this in game on the Gear VR and the results when loading these levels in one after each other is the same as the poor result from reloading the scene into the editor that I got.

This is killing progress on my Gear VR game (that needs all the performance it can get) and is now the only reason I cannot release the game. I really need someone to look into this.

Thanks,
    Scott