Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Virtual Texturing 2020.1a15

Discussion in '2020.1 Beta' started by Abruzzi, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Abruzzi

Abruzzi

Hello! I found this in release note of a15:

"Graphics: Add support for Virtual Texturing to the Editor and Player"

So there is many question about this.
    But firstly - how is it working, I mean - just enable in package manager? or I need to do additional work? Is it working on mobile platforms? And how it works with Texture Streaming - together, separately or independently?

Thanks in advance!

2. ArthurT

ArthurT

I'd probably assume it's something that only comes with HDRP as an additional feature, just like raytracing is.

3. dreamerflyer

dreamerflyer

any demo for this ? maybe can start to make open world~

4. dreamerflyer

dreamerflyer

vt.jpg Can not know how to use virtual Texture ...and sparse texture support on mac book?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    keeponshading likes this.
  5. AlkisFortuneFish

AlkisFortuneFish

Doesn't look like it, it looks like a proper unmanaged-side feature with a proper managed API.

6. BartPieters

BartPieters

Unity Technologies

Hi!

Yes, we are actively working on introducing Virtual Texturing to Unity. APIs, workflows, etc. are all being worked on at the moment and we are not ready to communicate on this yet.

Elecman and hippocoder like this.
  7. dreamerflyer

dreamerflyer

... why not give a schedule roadmap to the new feature? every feature is preview or still working ,let developper waiting and waiting ,i think it is not good ,guy! Can u learn from the unreal engine? every new feature their introduced,will soon get in the new beta version, like this virtual texture.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
  8. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Because they aren't ready to communicate on things that are very very early development. In other words, people are disappointed when things change.

Honestly? people need to start looking at what is available today. If it is not here today, do not plan for it in your project - at all. If everyone looked at judging if Unity is suitable from LTS, it would be a perfect situation I think :)

Why am I even online right now? because I am a nerd.

AlanMattano likes this.
  9. User340

User340

What does virtual texturing mean?

10. Elecman

Elecman

Texture streaming. You can use more high res textures without flooding the vram.

11. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

12. User340

User340

Granite looks like an amazing SDK. Supporting 262,144 x 262,144 texture resolutions is an incredible accomplishment.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
    DAcKey likes this.
  13. dreamerflyer

dreamerflyer

but still no example to see

14. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

I just noticed that comment on the release notes and rushed to test this from HDRP's WIP virtual texturing branch on github. Had to change bunch of things to make it run on 2020.1.0a18 and I got it to a point where it's not throwing any errors and I get this on console when I open the project: "Scriptable renderpipeline VT enabled" but there's obviously some required tooling missing.

I don't see any new menu entries anywhere to author or conf virtual texturing (as was done with Granite for Unity). I see the checkbox to enable VT, I've enabled virtualtexturing package and added the ENABLE_VIRTUALTEXTURES to player to enable the feat but there's some key things still missing :)

As for what this will be for, I wouldn't expect built-in renderer to support VT at all but looking at SRP github, they seem to be implementing VT support for both URP and HDRP.

And as for roadmap, this WAS told to be coming during 2020 on Unite Copenhagen's roadmap talk:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  15. dreamerflyer

dreamerflyer

2020 ,is one year time,so can not know when will vt comes~

16. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

This should give the insight that Unity wasn't certain how long it'll take to get it published other than it'll happen through 2020 cycle. Having VT API implemented on editor and player already does give impression we might see first previews of VT this spring or summer.

If Unity could give more exact dates on this, I'm sure they would but there can be tons of things that affect when this can and will be published to us. Staff comment from december was clear: they are not ready to give more info at that point and it's not even been a month since that comment.

17. dreamerflyer

dreamerflyer

so ,unity is draw so many big cakes for developper to wait for one year over one year ,like ecs??ECS still not can build for ios.

18. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    hippocoder likes this.
  19. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Agreed feedback there is also welcome. I've thread banned dreamerflyer for being way off topic. This isn't an ECS whine thread.

If a feature isn't available yet, it doesn't give you the right to bring unrelated issues into other threads.

20. TheOtherMonarch

TheOtherMonarch

I hope this supports terrain. We are making a top down game and it would allow us to move away from splat maps. Instead using one big handcrafted texture.

Lars-Steenhoff, Elecman and User340 like this.
  21. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

22. TokyoWarfareProject

TokyoWarfareProject

virtual texturing was available in the past as a plugin by a group I can´t recall its name atm. They also had vector motion blur when this was not available and some other neat plugins.

The thing is I would love to know if this is going to be HDRP exclusive as I'm preparing a new city map and I would love to be lazy and texture everythign with a gazilling textures and later on in the engine attlass all the estuff into the megatexture and save me some steps and even gain on texture quality

23. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It looks to be a feature of SRP so I think it'll be fine. You are also thinking of Amplify.

TokyoWarfareProject likes this.
  24. TokyoWarfareProject

TokyoWarfareProject

Exactly, thank you, I checked how their progress was since the v2 was in development like forever, now seems like they've finished.
    http://amplify.pt/unity/amplify-texture-2/

They may have discontinued tho as I know they recently dropped development in a bunch of assets to focus on a few.

25. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Amplify Texture was almost clone of Granite (which Unity acquired), almost identical setup etc. This new VT integration does work bit differently though, at least how you use it.

I tried the VirtualTexturing branch on 2020.1.0a24 the other day and there's a test project on SRP repo that has VT test scene. It's not really telling that much other than VT is already functional but tooling is still scarce.

For example there's no VT tile debug tool currently. I did find it on the shader bundled with Unity installation, but it's disabled even if you enable GRA_DEBUG_TILES. I hope they restore the functionality with it soon as without it, it's really hard to visually tell the VT is working properly.

Here's a small image dump of things on the current VirtualTexturing branch for HDRP:

For the two VT nodes, you can set the amount of slots from the node's own settings, on the images there's two slots but you can set more. Also you can set the texture slot to be for normal map or regular texture.

keeponshading likes this.
  26. TokyoWarfareProject

TokyoWarfareProject

Great to know!!

sounds like is quite advanced in development, can´t wait to test

ROBYER1 likes this.
  27. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It's 100% not worth going with amplify's virtual texturing. They're lovely people but really, it'll be free and well supported in Unity soon enough.

However it looks like people will be needing to roll their own tooling for it in the near term.

TokyoWarfareProject likes this.
  28. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

It's not really question of going with them or not, they've stopped licensing it for new customers for few years now. Also since Granite for Unity has been pulled from sale (for new customers), there really isn't any option out there but the upcoming SRP VT if you use Unity.

29. AljoshaD

AljoshaD

Unity Technologies

Great to see that you are excited about VT! The development is going well. We are careful about talking about it early because we set a tight deadline for ourselves. That said, our goal is to have VT as a preview feature in 2020.1 for HDRP. I expect that we will have more info to share on how to actually use Streaming Virtual Texturing in your project in roughly 3 weeks. For people familiar with Granite SDK, we won't support UDIM or textures larger than 16K in 2020.1. But obviously you'll be able to use many many textures (up to 16K) with limited video memory usage.

30. optimise

optimise

Any plan to support URP in mobile platform in future?

31. AljoshaD

AljoshaD

Unity Technologies

We are now focusing on getting the first HDRP preview out so we can't say much about URP. It is likely that URP will be supported at some point for high end (mobile) devices using the Vulkan or Metal graphics APIs.

32. keeponshading

keeponshading

Please integrate an API for custom and buildIn Lightmaps compareable to the Unreal implementation.

33. AljoshaD

AljoshaD

Unity Technologies

Pr0x1d, sergiusz308, Rowlan and 4 others like this.
  34. Saturn1004

Saturn1004

I tried experimenting with it.
    If you enabled Virtual Texturing in the latest version of 2020.1 (2020.1.f12) it reboots the editor then throws a bunch of Virtual Texturing errors and doesn't properly render the project settings > player screen.
    The only way to even get it off without messing up all your settings is to save a preset then open that preset up in a text editor and turn off virtual texturing then reload the preset.

35. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Since nobody posted the video yet, here we go...

dimmduh1 and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  36. flyer19

flyer19

when will run in URP MOBILE PLATEFORM?

37. sammtan

sammtan

Im still confused atm. Does URP supports RVT?

chortaingseng likes this.
  38. cholleme

cholleme

Unity Technologies

Virtual texturing is currently only supported on HDRP not URP or the built-in renderer.

dimmduh1 and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  39. sammtan

sammtan

maybe builtin can't. but i think urp will. is there a projected time when it will be?

40. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

built-in and URP both could, it's just matter of priorities. I wouldn't expect built-in support at all despite the original Granite VT solution works ONLY on built-in.

41. OlofAviron

OlofAviron

Unity Technologies

Hey!

We cannot share an ETA for VT in URP / built-in quite yet: certain challenges need to be tackled on our side before unlocking the feature but rest assured we are well-aware of the demand, so please keep an eye out for future updates!

Olof

42. Superjayjay

Superjayjay

Wait, VT doesn't work on the standard pipeline as of 2021.3.6?
    Because the option is there and none of the documentation I've found ever mentioned this only working on HDRP. I am thoroughly confused.