Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Virtual Scenes - create, manage, multiple areas + cameras in one Unity Scene file

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by a436t4ataf, Aug 1, 2015.

1. a436t4ataf

a436t4ataf

Virtual Scenes - include multiple mini-scenes into a single Scene, with a custom GUI to visualise and manage them.

[Pending review, this will appear on Asset Store (here)]

Typical use-cases:

* Make Unity's new "Giant, IN YOUR FACE!" annoying GUI-editor get out of the way :)
    * Indoors and outdoors areas in one Unity Scene
    * Put your RenderTexture cameras out of the way, but easily find and edit them
    * Manage large scenes with many cameras: define each camera-location as a different Virtual Scene, and easily jump between them, move things from area to area, etc

I created this because I was doing a lot of work with the new GUI, and I needed to embed multiple RenderTexture / virtual cameras (e.g. one showing units walking around, another one showing a world map, another one showing top-down view of player's city).

It's a mess, in Unity. In a normal game-engine, I'd have made each camera a "Scene" (this is standard, but impossible with Unity - you can only use one scene at once). Solution: virtual scenes, emulated within a single Unity scene.

Features working at the moment:
    1. Each Virtual Scene has its own name (can rename whatever you like)
    2. Fully integrated with Unity Editor – selecting a VirtualScene in Hierarchy selects it in the Scenes Inspector, and vice-versa
    3. You can right-click any GameObject / selected GameObjects and “move them to a Virtual Scene”
    4. When moving-to-scene, if things have a parent, they got to the same localPosition in the Virtual Scene; this makes it very easy to organize things in different Virtual Scenes and move them to/from your main Scene
    5. A SceneManager lets you easily find, view, and jump the Editor “Scene View” to each one
    6. It also manages and (re-)positions them when needed (if you decide to delete some, add some, change how far “far away” is because you made your main Terrain bigger, etc)
    7. They optionally have a “Scene Camera” (which is a local version of MainCamera); when you jump to a scene, it takes you to “looking hrough the Scene Camera” since that’s normally what the sub-scene is being used for
    8. Setup is all automatic: if you open the Virtual Scene Manager, it automatically configures itself and adds a Virtual Scenes system to the current Scene — (this was hard to make work: I found some new bugs in Unity’s EditorWindow implementation. Sigh)
    9. Everything is serialized correctly within the Unity Scene, using Unity Serialization

2. jzq740176597

jzq740176597

hello! dute! recently I have the similar problem for to achieve a game with 2 interactive viewpoint so I have no idea how to implement it ,so I google but found nothing valuable ,but maybe only your trying todo it,s what I needed so about 1 year passed ,have you finished it even the init version for public or in assets tore?
    best regards!

3. a436t4ataf

a436t4ataf

Unity refused to let me put it on the Asset Store. I believe because they were writing their own (inferior) system of multiple scenes, and they didn't want the competition :(.

Sorry!

4. jzq740176597

jzq740176597

then can you share the plugin with us? or paid at other web sites?

5. a436t4ataf

a436t4ataf

Unity's pushed several releases since I updated the code, so it may not be compatible with current versions. I'll need at least a few hours to check it's all working and clean, and won't break your project!

I'm working flat-out on two other projects right now, not sure when I'll get time to do this, but I'll post here with an update when I can.

6. jzq740176597

jzq740176597

Yes! YOU're AweSome! I'm expecting !