Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Virtual Ride-throughs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by euwyn, Mar 22, 2009.

1. euwyn

euwyn

Hi,

Does anyone have any thoughts on using the Unity3d engine as a platform for a virtual ride-through, similar to some of the stuff that has been done with the Counterstrike engine? (i.e. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBdWAr_FIsM).

I do like the portability allowed for by Unity3d (in-browser, iPhone, etc) but am wondering if a beefier engine might be more suitable to create a more immersive/realistic environment. Since gameplay will not be an element of our project, we're looking to place tremendous focus on visuals and sound (but would still like to make the final product easily viewable).

I'm interested in hearing any thoughts you might care to sahre.

Also, if anyone has any recommendations on artists and developers in New York or San Francisco (for paid roles), please drop me a line.

Cheers,
    Euwyn
    me AT euwyn.com

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Unity isn't exactly lacking in the "beefy" department, especially considering that a quite large percentage of how nice something looks depends on the art rather than the engine.

--Eric

3. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

I think unity is actually rather well suited for that kind of scenario. For architectural visualisation for instance (a favourite example on this forum), you can literally just drop in your assets, set up your scene and add a simple first-person controller setup which comes as part of the standard assets.

Also as Eric says, art really makes the experience most of the way - especially if you have no real game mechanics which can influence the experience. If you have some tech people on the team, shaders and full-screen effects should prove to be the icing on the cake for your scenario which takes your production from "really cool" to "totally awesome".

Example case: Ignoring all the game mechanics, UI etc., FlashBang studios latest title, blush, uses these components to create a really nice visual experience: http://blurst.com/blush/