Search Unity

virtual reality?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by yomomyha, Aug 18, 2012.

1. yomomyha

yomomyha

Does anybody believe virtual reality is a possibility that can put a player inside a virtual or fake world? If it is possible do we not understand the human brain enough to be able to put someone in a a body that would be able to activate a person senses just like in real life? just trying to discuss it.

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

In a way, yes. Here's a paper I helped on (that only got published in 2009, although the research was finished in 2004/5 when our part of the department got closed down and my disability worsened to the point I couldn't continue anyway - such is academia, publishing and health): http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19191061

Our patients felt that the VR recreation of their missing limbs that were controlled by motion capture of their stump were a controllable part of their body, and as a result, their phantom pain was reduced, sometimes drastically.

3. yomomyha

yomomyha

Thanks this is very interesting but what do you mean by phantom pain

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

Read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantom_pain

Simply put, people who have lost their limbs (either physically, through amputation, or neurologically, usually through spinal cord injury) can sometimes feel pain in the limbs they've lost, and it can be very severe. The most common theory of why this is, is because the brain remaps itself to make use of the areas that used to be part of the motor and sensory areas for that limb. The repurposing of sensory areas that are not entirely remapped is what's thought to cause the pain.

By convincing the brain that the limb is still there (through VR), the "phantom pain" is reduced.

This is a massive simplification, of course. If you are interested, read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuroplasticity

5. yomomyha

yomomyha

so simply put the brain can remap motor and sensory areas even if they don't exist and through remapping this a virtual world could be made?

6. Deleted User

Deleted User

That would be incredibly difficult, if possible, and rather dangerous too.

It would be much simpler to follow the usual method of VR glasses and a haptic suit (something like this, as great strides have been made in both since the last VR paradigm. As the research shows, once immersion takes place, you tend to feel as if you're part of the virtual world, as long as nothing breaks the immersion. Stopping that is the trick.

Going beyond that, you're pushing toward transhumanism and entering the expertise of my old head of department. The technology isn't quite there, but we are slowly getting there.

7. yomomyha

yomomyha

that's where I want to get

8. roger0

roger0

It would be cool if software companies found a way to use a helmet with the kinect. So players can turn in all directions, and move around by running in place. That would be the next big thing.

9. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

That has been around for loads of years. It is not the next big thing.

10. yomomyha

yomomyha

thankyou

11. roger0

roger0

Well just because it's been around for a long time doesnt mean it wont gain popularity someday. It has probably been to expensive to be cost efficient to sell and make profit. But eventually it may be.

12. khanstruct

khanstruct

Not really. All phantom limb pain is, is the brain expecting signals from a body part. When they don't arrive, the brain sends out a signal that something must be wrong (also known as pain). After a while, the brain accepts the missing body part and remaps the neurons accordingly.

As for VR, what exactly do you mean? Actually plugging something into your brain to override your normal senses? Not likely in our lifetime. This type of work is used for repairing the human body (prosthetic limbs, eyes, etc.) We haven't even reached the point where its acceptable to human improvement (cyborg arms for super strength!!!) let alone entertainment.

If all you're looking for is a fully immersive experience, the tech is already there. Goggles for 3d sound and peripheral vision with built in kinetic movement. Kinect-like sensors to detect body movement/commands. Maybe some haptic gloves? Heck, throw in that tech that monitors your brain and you could even project your thoughts into the game for some basic functionality!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  13. Deleted User

Deleted User

You says it much clearer than I did.
    Exoskeleton research is probably likely to enter the public arena before brain controlled elective prostheses. Here's Raytheon's Sarcos:

As KhanStruct says, nervous system controlled prostheses do exist though, usually repurposing sensory nerves from the chest for feeling, or even using the remaining nerves:

14. jgb143

jgb143

Running in place? How about an Xbox Omnidirectional Treadmill instead?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omnidirectional_treadmill

15. khanstruct

khanstruct

16. boco

boco

17. Eugene1982

Eugene1982

Yes! I have experienced this kind of immersion and it was so profound that I want to devote my entire life to the pursuit of it. I was surprised at how little equipment is required to create an immersive experience. Thomas your Kinect project sounds very interesting, I am creating a virtual world and want to incorporate as many VR peripherals as possible.