Search Unity

Virtual reality car configurator?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Look_into_the_future, Feb 26, 2022.

1. Look_into_the_future

Look_into_the_future

Would you prefer a virtual reality car configurator to a conventional one?

We are currently exploring the possibilities of a metaverse environment (collective virtual space). The integration of a VR configurator for cars in our Metaverse showroom is the topic.

2. Murgilod

Murgilod

No. I would dramatically prefer a conventional one because the conventional one does not require a several hundreds dollar investment to use. They're also faster, generally easier to use, have fewer overall technical requirements, all sorts of things.

The only thing this would really offer is being able to look at the car itself, which would be slightly more convenient than just going to a dealership.

3. neginfinity

neginfinity

I don't have a car.

The main reason to have a VR app for car is to NOT go to a leadership by yourself. But in this case, the resulting model would require an obscene amount of detail, to the point where manufacturer might complain or worry about intellectual rights. Becuase for a VR application I would want to touch every knob and tumbler, look udner the hood and at the bottom of the car, and at this case, building the car model would become obscenely epxensive.

The amusing thing is, that this sort of project is somethin I worked on a long time ago (that project failed, I was young). and it didn't fly because modeling was complicated.

The scenario would be different if instead of "configurator" it would be a "build to order" car application where you'd be assembling something like a buggy. But in this case the creation of the application itself would be expensive.

It may be a better idea to look into telepresence avatar that would let people visit a real leadership instead using the headset.

4. vertexx

vertexx

Agree with this. VR still has a long way to go before people will take it seriously. Very uncomfortable and unpractical/ inconvenient and stupidly expensive and still lores/fuzzy no matter what the fanboys say. Great for the WOW factor but that's a nine day wonder. Stick with Murgilod's advice!

stain2319 likes this.
  5. neginfinity

neginfinity

Um.

Quest 2 is $300. That's not stupidly expensive.
    It is fairly convenient.
    For high res, see the visual quality of VR180 videos and stuff like light fields demo.

There's also a severe lack of games right now which let you drive a car in a town.

6. fuzzy3d

fuzzy3d