Search Unity

Virtual 3D Gallery connected to Facebook

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by wimwouters, Jan 7, 2010.

1. wimwouters

wimwouters

Attached Files:

2. CaptainKiyaku

CaptainKiyaku

Looks really good, i love this kind of projects, especially the loading content dynamic and from different places.

Guess it was fun to program (i tried something like this in Torque before which was quite fun too).

How long did it take to complete?

3. Zante

Zante

Very nice, I thought it was all lightmapped at first but it looks like you're using an entirely real-time solution. How well does it run, considering the real-time AO is extremely expensive currently?

Well done, great idea and implementation.

4. wimwouters

wimwouters

Thanks for the comments... We're using a combination of realtime AO and lightmapped AO...

Great fun to make this!

Wim Wouters

5. Vimalakirti

Vimalakirti

Well done!

That is a very good idea and a great example of how wonderful Unity is for non-game applications. You are providing a valuable service to artists and I hope you have great success with this project!

The only things that need more work are the lighting and the camera controls. It's hard to see some of the finer details of the work. One thing perhaps to try is to use darker lighting and make the paintings self-illuminating. Or, perhaps you can use different materials and more light. I'm not much of a shader guy.

The other thing is the camera controls. The way it is, the camera is too low. It is below the center of the paintings when it should be at least slightly above center. ideally, you would be able to move the camera up and down (toward the ceiling or floor) so that you could examine the art more carefully. It might be good to try a camera with a smaller field of view. You would get less distortion around the edges that way. To compensate, you may need a larger floor plan for the gallery itself. Perhaps make the mouse scroll wheel work for zoom by changing the field of view.

Overall, a very good start. It is very good.