Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Viking Village demo

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by Roni92, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Roni92

Roni92

2. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

3. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

I downloaded it into the new rc2 and get the purple color on terrain_near_01 also after restarting Unity.
    I think i have to put the right shader on or material. Can someone please help.

4. valleyentrance

valleyentrance

Looks like UnityStandardCoreTerrain.cginc is missing.

5. DennG

DennG

same problem here.

6. Ghosthowl

Ghosthowl

The update that was pushed just an hour ago or so gives me the same pink issue as well, but the shader editor window is now working unlike before.

The problem too can be resolved per Jonathan Brisebois's instructions.

7. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

If the Terrain.cginc is a file that should be in U5 RC2 i searched for it and it is not there.
    Not where Unity is installed and not where the project is.

If this is the error, from where do i get the file or do we get a fix for that?

8. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

@Ghosthowl
    Can you please post the right link for the instructions. If i search for the name i get many sites but not the right one.

9. JDMulti

JDMulti

Also missing the terrain shader, just downloaded it 1 hour ago. The scene itself is highly instable too. My fps goes from 350+fps down to 100 in spikes. I don't know if the missing terrain shader has anything to do with it.

[ Edit ]

Lag spikes are caused by a Drawcall increase that begins with 179 drawcalls and in an instand it increased to 1977 when I turn around with my fps controller

10. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Do you test this with full hd or what fps do you get on that resolution?

11. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

I just downloaded the built in shaders for unity 5.0 rc2 but also there i could not find the Terrain.cginc file if it the right name :(

12. JDMulti

JDMulti

No I test this in the editor with default quality settings of the project ( called "Beserk" ) But I got a monster gfx card to handle it. But seems it doesn't handle it that well, or the increase in drawcalls from frame 1 to 2 is just too much. When I walk to the end of the scene, it has 170 drawcalls, but when I turn around it goes whooping 2k+ drawcalls in an instand and a noticeable spike appears in view. Just an ineffciënt scene setup I guess.

13. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

@JDMulti
    Just test it to and only can say you are lucky to have such a good graphiccard :)
    I only get about 38 to 42 fps in the middle and then up to 78 fps when i go out of the village.
    The cpu usage is only at 12% so no problem there.
    My graphiccard is an old geforce gtx 560 ti with 2gb. What is yours?
    How do you see the drawcalls in Unity 5? I only see Batches and saved by batching.

14. Ghosthowl

Ghosthowl

15. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Ah great. Thank you Ghosthowl. At least i now can look at something more dirty now ;)

16. JDMulti

JDMulti

If you run the game included with the Profiler turned on, you can check the Graphics part of the profiler and slide trough the performance. The bottom part of the profiler tab you can see how many drawcalls are drawn.

The funny part is that the amount of drawcalls doesn't effect my gfx card at all. My gfx card draws the whole scene with ease in both 170 or 2k+ drawcalls. Only the Unity Engine shows a hickup and when I look at the performance of my GFX card, it doesn't effect anything, no spike at all in the gfx card minitor. So it seams the hickup is a result of Unity having to enable loads of geometry in a short amount of time, and not the GFX card rendering it in a short time.

My gfx card is: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4gb ram

17. Roni92

Roni92

Its not funny, its normal, dracalls affects cpu.

18. JDMulti

JDMulti

Yes but the CPU is a monster as well, so with this high end machine I'm unable to view this project hickup free?
    I have had scenes with 3k+ drawcalls and 1,5mil vertices without a single hickup when I did a 360 fps jump look around. With the viking scene in Unity 5 rc2 I get about 5 hickups in this 360 fps jump with less geometry and less drawcalls. Do I miss something essential?

19. spryx

spryx

My laptop with a 620M gets 9 fps :(... With all the low fps around, I'm beginning to think UT streamed the village demo from a supercomputer :p

@JDMulti I just bought the GTX 970 for my desktop, it should plow through this scene.

20. JDMulti

JDMulti

Thought the same, but seams the scene isn't that optimized. My machine is nose picking while rendering that scene, and consuming about 4watt or something, however it still has hickups. Don't know how that ever ran smooth in Berserk mode while making that Unity 5 video :p

21. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

I noticed why this asset files size is so large and so slow in editor, for instance: the skull hangs on the sword that has 22k tris. Also a 4k x 4k wood normal texture is 132MB file size. Did not expect that hi-res. :D

My old macbook GPU can't handle them, I need to change the Texture Quality to half res in Quality Setting, then everything seems responsive in editor now.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  22. Roni92

Roni92

This scene is very gpu-heavy. Im afraid that by this demo they just ensure devs that this engine is not suitable for aaa graphics. 100fps on 780ti? Bit**, please xd And btw, its not even some super next gen graphics, its just OK for nowadays standards...

23. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

I agree, this scene isn't very optimised. This is a bit of a shame since it might be used as an example by beginners and compared to other engines.

24. elbows

elbows

What it does appear to be good for though, is demonstrating how you can use quality settings to affect things not directly set in the quality settings area. I havent had time to look properly, but for example I saw some indication of different camera and different mesh being used for certain quality modes in this demo.

25. Gokcan

Gokcan

I believe this scene can be optimized at least 4x times.

26. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

I don't think this is a new feature: you could check the quality settings via script before and use the info in order to display different things.

For example, you could modify the grass distance depending on the quality setting, or choose not to display a layer of smaller decorative meshes to lighten your scene on low end machines.

You can even make it automatic with a script checking the FPS and choosing the quality accordingly for the user.

27. elbows

elbows

Yeah I'm not saying its new for Unity 5, but I did think it was a useful learning aspect of the project for people like me that havent done it before. And when it comes to this slightly awkward era where there is much interest in 'next-gen' effects and graphics that many people dont actually have the hardware to run at brilliant framerates just yet, and all the powerful but hungry stuff that comes in Unity 5, its timely to see examples of this stuff in a scene.

28. zastrow

zastrow

I'm a little surprised they released the Viking Village in this condition. I've got dual 16 core processors with 32GB of memory with a nice GForce graphics card and I can barely move around in the scene in play mode. They hyped this as a release along with the release of Unity 5. They could have waited and optimized it instead of releasing it ahead of Unity 5 in this condition. If the goal was to showcase Unity's new features, they should have gone lo-res on image maps and the 3D Models; Let Unity 5 do it's thing.

29. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

Please define "barely". I have a 6 years old computer with and old videocard, and I can run this scene maximized at 45-50 fps.

30. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

It works around 20 FPS on my old GTX 460 so you might have a problem.

Still, this scene isn't optimised and I agree with you, it isn't Giving Unity a good reputation. :-/

31. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

I am thinking too that this scene is not optimized but i do not have a double 16 core like i wrote above and have also at least 38 fps with my old gforce gtx 560 ti with 2gb of own ram and so i have a relative fluent feeling in this scene and i also noticed that the cpu only used at around 14% so the problem will be more the graphic card.

32. unicat

unicat

Asset Store doesn`t proper update this pack. Everytime i start Unity it goes back to Version 1.0.1755 .

33. zastrow

zastrow

Hmm, maybe I have a corrupted source file or something.

34. Roni92

Roni92

No, as I said before, it is gpu-bottleneck in almost every case. Learn to use profiler, ppl.

35. Silvia-Rasheva

Silvia-Rasheva

Unity Technologies

Thanks a lot for pointing out the different issues you've been having with Viking Village.
    We've put in some fixes which are live now:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/29140
    (version 1.0.1760b)

This update contains fixes for the missing terrain material, the ineditable material properties, and some other minor ones. We've deleted the previous project version to avoid that the project reverts back to its older version.

36. kshaja

kshaja

New version 1.0.1760b looks good on new RC3 Unity5.