Search Unity

Views saved in exports from Revit

Discussion in 'Unity Reflect' started by eproca_SimRTR, Jul 3, 2020.

1. eproca_SimRTR

eproca_SimRTR

When exporting from Revit to a Reflect project, it seems that there are some changes in 1.2 in relation about what views are included in the export (I mean the view properties, camera position..etc)

In 1.1, the actual 3d view used was exported as a one of the prefabs with the transform matching the camera position. Besides of the metadata, it has a “POI” component attached.

In 1.2, the actual 3d view used is exported in the same way, but many other 3d views are exported too as prefabs with metadata, but without the “POI” component attached.

After some tests, it seems that around ten 3d views are included in each export. A small single user Revit project can have dozens of 3d views. A big multiuser Revit project can have hundreds of 3D views. I am wondering what is the purpose of these additional 3d views exported and how they are selected from the dozens or hundreds of 3d views of a typical Revit project.

In any case, I am glad that the actual 3d view used for the export is always included and it is easy to identify. To have the camera position of the view used for the export is very useful.

2. UnityPeterD

UnityPeterD

Unity Technologies

Hi there,

You are correct in your findings that the view that is selected in Revit is the one that will always be exported with the POI script attached to it.

All of the other existing 3d views should be exported with metadata attached as well, not just a selection of them. Let me know if that coincides with what you are seeing and if not you can reach out to me via reflect-support@unity3d.com with any examples.

Kind Regards,
    Peter Davidson
    Unity Service Support Developer

3. eproca_SimRTR

eproca_SimRTR

Hi,

Thanks for your answer. I can confirm that not all the 3d views included in the Revit project are exported.

I am wondering what is the purpose to export all the 3d views. To be able to retrieve them in Reflect compatible apps?. This sounds interesting, in theory, but Revit projects can easily have hundreds of 3d views. I am not sure if this is practical in real use.

And one very interesting feature of Reflect, is that each separate 3d view is exported in a Reflect project as a separate model. This allows to combine models from different Revit projects, or even from different modelling tools, that it is really fascinating. But another use of this is to export separate 3d views from the same Revit project. In very large Revit models, it can be interesting to make different exports to avoid to export the whole thing every time, and just the area that has been updated. Maybe this is not the most usual case, but I can imagine many situations that this can be very helpful, like for example to easily control de visibility of each part exported separately.

If I export different 3d views from the same Revit file, because I want to subdivide in several models, is it expected that every export will contains all the other 3d views of the model? Maybe it would be convenient some export options in the Revit plugin. So each user can set what is preferred.