Search Unity

View Switching COM Exception on HoloLens Emulator

Discussion in 'VR' started by GodzillaSpider, Sep 19, 2018.

1. GodzillaSpider

GodzillaSpider

Hello All,

I have an app with 2 views: a 3D view using Unity and a 2D view with a WebView. When trying to switch between the views on the HoloLens Emulator version 10.0.17134.80, I get the following exception:

System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: 'Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component.'

The line that returns this exception is:

Code (csharp):
    2. await dispatcher.RunAsync(CoreDispatcherPriority.Normal, async () =>
    3. {
    4. await ApplicationViewSwitcher.SwitchAsync(this.view.Id); //<-- EXCEPTION
    5.  });
    The same exact code works fine on HoloLens emulator version 10.0.14393.1358

Does anyone know if there is some setting or permission that I need on the newer version? Otherwise, can anyone explain how to troubleshoot this cryptic COMException? The message isn't giving me much to go on.

2. JasonCostanza

JasonCostanza

Unity Technologies

3. GodzillaSpider

GodzillaSpider

Hey Jason, thanks for the reply.

I think this is likely a UWP issue because the same code works on the Emulator version 10.0.14393.1358. For the same reason, I think there is no issue of which view/thread the dispatcher is on. I'm guessing it's some kind of new UWP security/privacy measure that's not allowing apps to switch views. It may be that I need to specify some required capability or something like that.

I've opened up a ticket with Microsoft as well so we'll see what they say.

JasonCostanza likes this.
  4. JasonCostanza

JasonCostanza

Unity Technologies

Yep I was afraid of that, I THINK this is a Microsoft issue you're experiencing. Hopefully their support team can reach you quickly

5. jbienzms

jbienzms

Microsoft Employee

Hey @GodzillaSpider, my name is Jared. I work at Microsoft and I regularly help customers build WMR / HoloLens apps. Your browser implementation could be super helpful to some customers I work with and I'm wondering if you ever got this bug resolved? If not, maybe I can help find the right people to look into it.

I didn't see any contact information on your website, so if you're still seeing the problem can you e-mail me? My address is jbienz###<at>###microsoft#<dot>#com. (Just remove all the number signs.)

JasonCostanza likes this.