Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback View changelog button

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by Baste, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Baste

Baste

When I press the view changelog button on package, it's because there's a new version I can update to, and I want to know what that entails.

But the view changelog button opens the changelog for the version I'm already on. For example, I'm on version 0.5 of the Profile Analyzer, and 0.6 is available. I click "view changelog", and I get this page. I need to manually hit the "view the latest version" button.

I think it'd be much better if view changelog opened the changelog page for the latest version immediately.

SugoiDev likes this.
  2. supita_unity

supita_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey, thanks a lot for the feedback, I'll pass it to the team.

One question, can't you achieve this already? It's true that in the Package Manager we show you the current version, but you could select "See all versions" and check out the Changelog from a specific version from there, even if you don't have it installed.

In your case you want to see the latest version, but that's not what the Changelog is about, the changelog should be there to know what change from one version to another, and we want to show you from the particular version you selected, so it's more clear for you what's new in the given version.

I'm thinking for example in users on an old Editor version, and then using previous packages version, having the changelog jumping to the latest version would not be useful for them.

Cheers,

Supi

3. Baste

Baste

Is that button not in 2018.4? Can't find anything.

I can select different versions in the update to dropdown, but the rest of the UI (and the "view changelog" link) stays on the installed version.

I don't neccessarilly want to see the latest version. It's more that I'm looking at this:

upload_2020-3-9_16-38-26.png

And I want to know what's going to happen if I click that "Update to 2.5.0" button.

I can't really see any reason to look at the changelog for an already-up-to-date package that I have installed. I don't often spend time reminiscing about how packages used to be like.

4. supita_unity

supita_unity

Unity Technologies

No, you are right, I was looking at 2019.3, this feature is not available on 2018.4, I understand what you mean now, thanks for the explanation.

In the later versions of the Package Manager Window you can see the other versions of the packages without needing to install them.

upload_2020-3-9_12-10-9.png

5. Baste

Baste

Oh.

Well then, my bad, you've already implemented my feature request. Thanks!

Should learn to check the latest version before I go complaining :p

6. supita_unity

supita_unity

Unity Technologies

No worries, it's good to get this feedback and know the new features are useful for users. At least now you know it exists :)

Cheers,

Supi