Search Unity

VideoPlayer using URL on Oculus Quest - nothing but green

Discussion in 'Android' started by rlogan, Dec 20, 2019.

1. rlogan

rlogan

I am creating an app for the Oculus Quest that will let a user navigate through a hierarchy of various 360 videos. I initially started by bundling the videos in the apk but that gets out of hand quickly and causes memory issues with the builds. I switched to the URL method and I am now loading videos off the local drive.

Unfortunately, now the screen only renders green. It should not be a codec issue as the same video worked fine when set directly in Unity and bundled with the apk. I see the following error with logcat:

AndroidVideoMedia::SetSecPosition could not complete seek to frame 63. Codec appears to be stalled at frame -1.

The frame # continues to increment but error just repeats. I am not attempting any seek, this is a just a Prepare() followed by a Play();

Permissions appear to be set properly because prior to that, I only saw a black screen and a had relevant permission errors in logcat.

Anyone seen something similar?

2. rlogan

rlogan

No one?

3. Brad-Newman

Brad-Newman

Getting the same error and see the same green (on a Pico 4K VR headset). Perplexing, since the non-working video seems to have the same codec and format as working videos (H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (avc 1).

Unity
    - 2019.2.17f1
    - Minimum API Level: Android 7.0
    - Target API: Automatic (highest installed)
    - Asset Bundles are uncompressed.

Android Device: Pico 4K VR Headset
    - Running Android 8.1.0

4. Brad-Newman

Brad-Newman

Solved my problem by re-encoding the video as H.265. Don't think my device supports 4096 x 4096 H.264.

5. rlogan

rlogan

We tried several codecs and ended up just going back to 360 mono (4096x2048) and it is working fine for now. I will likely revisit in the near future though.

The initial video was (4096x4096 H.265) and it played fine on the Quest if it was loaded as part of the apk. However, if loaded via URL method, just green. It also played fine in the Quest video player so I don't think it's a codec issue but who knows. A lot of variables in play.

I'm on Unity 2019.2.15f1

6. paulksi

paulksi

Hello, i`m having the same issue on galaxy S5e trying to play 680mb file

7. nkyms

nkyms

Getting the same problem here.
    H265 works, but I'm getting a range of different problems with that.

8. FMRAustinSnider

FMRAustinSnider

I have also encountered this problem playing back video on Oculus Quest; the video texture is black until loaded and then solid green afterwards. I'm tried transcoding and reimporting, but haven't had any luck. Anyone else have a solid resolution for this issue -- i.e. video import settings/transcoding settings/etc.?

I'm using Unity 2019.3.0f0 with a 4096 x 4096 MP4 (UnknownEncoding).

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  9. paulksi

paulksi

Hello, i`ve wasted couple weeks trying to solve how to make a stable player on galxay S5e in unity, no luck, random freezes crashes, even with small files, horrible experience, the only solution was to purchase AV Pro plugin for android, yes its pricey, but afterwards not a single issue. So if you can i recommend not wasting your time and get the plugin.