Search Unity

VideoPlayer blocking UI in Unity 2019

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by acr1378, Apr 23, 2019.

1. acr1378

acr1378

I just switched to the release version (not beta) of 2019 from the last version of 2018. I made no changes to the project, but now the video player blocks all UI, even when the UI canvas is positioned in front of the video player. This did not happen in 2018, and I didn't make any changes to the project beyond updating the version of Unity.

Has anyone else had this problem?

lucorg likes this.
  2. lucorg

lucorg

I have this exact same problem, been working on 2017.3 and today I updated to 2019.1 and just like you describe the video player blocks the UI and also partially blocks my particle systems

3. acr1378

acr1378

I just tried out the latest version of Unity 2019 and this problem is still there. To recap, Unity's video player blocks everything on the screen, including UI, regardless of where you put the player in relation to the camera. This was not an issue in previous versions of Unity... the same build works with Unity 2018, but not with 2019.

For people who use video in their projects, this makes Unity 2019 unuseable. I there a work around or a fix coming soon?

4. true_warlock

true_warlock

Here is my Workaround for getting the video to display where I wanted and not block out anything else.

I created a separate UI empty game object and put the video player on that and as usual put in the video clip and render texture. Then a created a panel added a Mask to it.

On that panel with the Mask I then added the "Raw Image" and placed the render texture in that and used the scale tab to expand Raw Image (i renamed Video Display) that the clip will appear on, so all the other UI elements wont be blocked.

The Mask more or less acts as means to keep the Raw Image from overlapping into anything else.

I hope this helps.

Anjoliekate likes this.
  5. acr1378

acr1378

Thanks for the workaround. I opened a bug ticket on this. It's been fixed, but won't come out until Unity 2020.xxxx.