Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

VideoClip import error

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by 8Infinite8, Apr 9, 2017.

1. 8Infinite8

8Infinite8

Hi,

I'm trying to test the VideoClip workflow in Unity. If I try and load an After Effects exported H.264 .mp4 into Unity on a Windows 7 64bit machine Unity is giving this error:

upload_2017-4-9_10-42-33.jpeg

"WindowsVideoMedia error 0xc00d5212 while reading G:/__VR/_IR-4D-Player/Assets/4D-Unity-Playback/09-Section0007/textures/09-Section0007_02_c.mp4

Context: Setting media type for first video stream
    Error details: No suitable transform was found to encode or decode the content.
    Track types:
    Video Track, type: 1cva

UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()"

On a friends Windows 10 PC, 64bit, the file will import perfectly fine.

Does anyone know the cure for this issue?

Thanks

2. 8Infinite8

8Infinite8

Can anyone confirm this bug?

3. DominiqueLrx

DominiqueLrx

Unity Technologies

Hi 8Infinite8!

The H.264 decoder on Microsoft platforms is the one that is bundled with Microsoft's Media Foundation. On Windows 7, this codec is limited to 1920 x 1088 as per the note in the "Format Constraints" table found in Microsoft's documentation:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd797815(v=vs.85).aspx

The table describes other constraints such as profiles, level, minimum resolution and chroma formats. Please let us know if this explains what you are seeing. If not, please submit a bug with this clip (or a similar one reproducing the issue) and we'll have a closer look.

If this is an option for you, consider using the webm file format with the VP8 codec. This is a software implementation that will not be limited by OS version limitations, although it will not benefit from hardware acceleration. We'll improve both code paths over time (support more codec variations, explain errors better, provide better optimizations, etc) but you'll have to make a choice based on performance vs compatibility.

Hope this helps,

Dominique
    A/V developer at Unity

4. 8Infinite8

8Infinite8

Hi Dominique,

Thanks for the information.

Can I suggest perhaps that Unity add this caveat on their Video Player documentation for other users who try to create H.264 video for use in Unity on Windows 7?

"Note In Windows 7, the maximum supported resolution is 1920 × 1088 pixels for both software and DXVA decoding."

As this was not an obvious solution and Google did not throw up anything on a search.

I will either then author at 1088?p or upgrade the OS : )

Infinite

5. DominiqueLrx

DominiqueLrx

Unity Technologies

Hi again!

Thanks for confirming this was indeed the resolution limitation.

The latest version of the VideoPlayer Scripting API (the one that shipped with the release, the one online is still behind, I believe) does contain a reference to this table in the "Movie File Format Support Notes". I have to agree it's a bit subtle but this is a starting point and as I said we'll try to improve, thanks for the suggestion.

Also please let us know if working with webm/vp8 is an option in your case, because this would remove resolution limitations inherent to H.264 support on Windows.

Thanks again for your input,

Dominique

6. 8Infinite8

8Infinite8

Hi thanks for the reply.

What do you suggest to use for producing webm/vp8? As After Effects does not seem to list that support in Adobe Media Encoder CC 2017?

I see that h.264 certainly doesn't support 4096x4096, however h.265 will do. We would prefer to author at 4kx4k but 2kx2k is suitable for testing. If I install Win10.

Infinite

7. 8Infinite8

8Infinite8

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  8. yangShaos

yangShaos

version: unity 2017.2
    i hava quicktime Installed.
    upload_2018-12-12_17-55-7.png
    upload_2018-12-12_17-55-29.png

*.mp4(mpeg-4 codec) can't import.
    *.webm(vp8 codec) can import.