Search Unity

Video won't play

Discussion in 'Unity Certification' started by master_rigel, Apr 19, 2020.

1. master_rigel

master_rigel

Unity Certified User: Programmer

Module 1 - Introduction to Programming and the Unity Engine

Unity IDE Windows, GameObjects and Components

This video won't play under any circumstances.

I used decoding software to try to fix the problem, and discovered that the video is encoded to the wrong format. I'm not sure what format its in, but it doesn't match the MP4 container, and can not be converted to AVI.

Here is the exact address
    https://content.gmetrix.net/videos/Courses/Unity/UCU/UCU_M01_V06_T03_v08_FINAL.mp4

There appears to be no file here, even though there should be?

The exact error is
    "The media could not be loaded, either because the server or network failed or because the format is not supported."

Can this be fixed please?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
    jjrice2233 likes this.
  2. subu_unity

subu_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi Rigel,

This plays fine for me. Where are you located at? Wondering if this is some sort of CDN issue.

Thanks,
    Subu

jjrice2233 likes this.
  3. master_rigel

master_rigel

I looked into a few things specifically.

I looked into the CDN issue, and discovered that it did in fact play through a proxy server. When I went back to non-proxy the video failed where my browser cache ended. This could be a caching issue on my end or, it could be a sign of some other systemic problem.

I will see what happens when I clean things up here, and try a new attempt to play the video, if it is CDN related, then it would explain the IP address failure.

If it is a CDN issue, then I imagine it's up to G-Metrix to fix that, and I wouldn't know where to start. I imagine that Unity will have to contact G-Metrix to get it fixed? I will do some more research into that too.

In any case, I'm going to try a few other things to see if I can get this to work.

Cheers, Rigel.

jjrice2233 likes this.
  4. master_rigel

master_rigel

I got on the phone with G-Metrix technical support.

Chris will see what he can come up with for me. I'm likely looking at a refund on the last purchase.

As for the content, it only seems to resolve through United States I.P. Addresses. It is not resolving via Canadian I.P. addresses.

It is up to them now, to correct the issue, and we shall see what happens in the coming days, and weeks.

I just wanted to update you with my progress so far in resolving the issues I have been experiencing.

Hopefully any information I add here, might help you to assist other customers in the future...

jjrice2233 likes this.
  5. subu_unity

subu_unity

Unity Technologies

Thanks Rigel. Super helpful. I will contact G-Metrix as well and let them know this is a priority.

jjrice2233 likes this.
  6. master_rigel

master_rigel

Hi subu. While I don't work for Unity or G-Metrix it is my recommendation not to create more confusion than there already is.

I think this issue is being handled internally atm. Chris seems to be doing a good job so far.

As of this morning at 12:23 AM, Mountain time, the video was resolving properly at my I.P. Address in Saskatchewan , and in Vancouver.

I have notified Chris of the current circumstances, and let him know that I will monitor the circumstances for that and other videos as time goes on. If I find any other issues, I will let him know where they are, and how they occured.

If you want to try from other locations, and update this thread, that would be great.

I greatly appreciate your response to this.

Cheers, Rigel.

jjrice2233 likes this.
  7. master_rigel

master_rigel

I want to update this thread for you. So that if you want to be in the loop, you can use the e-mail thread here

Subject: Rigel Christopher Arndt - Ticket #807

There's the G-Metrix Ticket number as well, in case you want to add to it via another channel.

Cheers, Rigel.

jjrice2233 likes this.
  8. subu_unity

subu_unity

Unity Technologies

Super! Thanks Rigel.

jjrice2233 likes this.
  9. KiberJaba

KiberJaba

One day videos has stopped working. I tried many browser, i tried watch videos from my phone, i tried use home wi-fi and mobile internet but it all was useless. Looks like unity dont give a f*** about this problem

10. cyyonhunt

cyyonhunt

I can't open any videos now. It was working yesterday. I have tried safari, chrome and firefox. It doesn't work at all.

ps:I am following Quality Assurance (QA) Pathway course.