Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Video Tutorial] Code FASTER in Unity with Live Templates

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by charlesamat, Sep 19, 2019.

1. charlesamat

charlesamat

Unity is great but, like with most engines or frameworks, it requires a lot of boilerplate code. Watch my video and learn how to code FASTER in Unity using Live Templates.

Ryiah likes this.
  2. lordofduct

lordofduct

1) I'm not sure if this counts as spam or not...

2) I guess this is cool... but I mean.. like a for loop, I'm not sure how fast other people type, but I can type out a for loop lickity split. This feels like intellisense for more complex statements... which I use intellisense, but also it sometimes gets in the way of my typing since I'm just used to... typing.

Something like a for loop is so ingrained into my mind that I don't even think about typing it. This fact actually gets in my way when typing English since often I'll start typing an English word that has a programming language similar and I end up typing the code statement instead just automatically cause I spend way more time coding than I do typing English.

Places I could see this being more useful is say... statements I don't write as often and aren't engrained. So I have to slow down and think about the structure of it in my head. But with that said... I write those so infrequently I would never think to create a template for it (or if there are existing templates do they exist?), AND I likely wouldn't even think to use this since... well I'd only use it when it came up.

But clearly, this probably isn't designed for me.

angrypenguin likes this.
  3. charlesamat

charlesamat

Yeah I mean at the end of the day it's just a tool that you either leverage or don't. Just like an IDE itself. You certainly could just use Notepad++ to develop if that's your fancy.

As far as this being spam, I'd like to understand why you'd think that? Because I mention my newsletter and the promo code? Otherwise, it's nothing more than a Unity tutorial that I figured someone on this community might benefit from.

4. lordofduct

lordofduct

Well it's technically advertisement of what appears to be your video series. The code of conduct technically mentions no advertising... but because it is technically in the realm of unity, it may not be considered it. Hence my saying "I'm not sure if this counts as spam or not..."

5. charlesamat

charlesamat

Feels like a stretch. If I posted another YouTuber's video that I found helpful would that be considered advertising their video series, as well? I'm genuinely asking. I'll have to read the rules to get a better understanding.

Ryiah likes this.
  6. Yoreki

Yoreki

Linking a video as a response to a question, for example if it's a related tutorial, can definitely not be considered spamm or advertisement. Well, as long as the video is related to the topic that is.
    But i can see how opening a thread to "self promote" your own tutorial series may be considered that, even if no ill-intent is behind it. I personally dont really care. When people create a new "look at my tutorial" kind of thread i always have this "meh" moment personally, but there may be people who are interrested in it.
    And while i feel like this subforum is more directed towards scripting related questions and answers, i dont think any other subforum would be more fit.. so yeah.

That said, if we were talking about something maybe a bit more coding "relevant", like an easy explanation of difficult but useful algorithms, or a guide on some hard topic, then in my opinion at least, that would seem a bit more fitting compared to a video basically explaining a feature some IDE has, even if it's a neat feature.

In case you got paid to make that video tho, that's a different story. In that case i'd definitely consider it advertisement. There is a difference between a video along the lines of "i found this and it's cool, maybe you wanna try it" vs "i'm getting paid to promote X, so have a look". That much should be obvious.

I have no idea why i'm even writing this. Just take it as some random guys opinion on the topic i guess.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    Socrates likes this.
  7. charlesamat

charlesamat

I appreciate your input! I get it and I'd happy to remove the thread. In fact, I'll do just that.

8. charlesamat

charlesamat

Ummmm I'm trying to delete it but I don't actually see how to. If anything I'll just delete the contents and rename the title to something like "ignore me" lol

9. lordofduct

lordofduct

Nah... it's not like we're mods. You don't have to do that (well unless some mod said so, in which case they can take care of that). Was more or less just bringing it up as like a grey area for your future consideration since the 'code of conduct' was recently updated and pinned to the top of the forum and you're a low post count member so you might not be aware of it.

But anyways, that's enough of a tangent... now I'm breaking the rule of derailing the thread. lol.

Good video.

10. charlesamat

charlesamat

Well, I welcome any mod to remove the post if it breaks any rules. I don't want people to get a bad taste in their mouth because I shared my content somewhere it didn't belong.

Ryiah and hippocoder like this.
  11. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Videos like this are welcome in general discussion or teaching (if such a forum will come) but not scripting. The reason it's not for scripting is because scripting is about individuals asking specific questions, and other people answering them. It's not a FAQ or guide or promo platform.

1. people (youtubers etc) are VERY welcome to post their videos as much as they like. Unity wants this very much.

2. Have to be in general discussion for now til we find a better promotional platform.

Happy vlogging/tutorialing :)

GarBenjamin, Amon and Ryiah like this.
  12. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Oh yeah, now it's in general, everyone can step down from the cannons, it's fine the precious sanctums of code are protected.

GarBenjamin, Amon, lordofduct and 2 others like this.
  13. charlesamat

charlesamat

Thank you! Really appreciate the support. In the future I'll be sure to keep my posts in the right place so as to not taint the precious sanctums of code :D

Amon, Ryiah and hippocoder like this.
  14. Ryiah

Ryiah

Thanks for the video. I have to admit between the constant praises and examples of its features in action I'm slowly being sold on the idea of giving up Visual Studio. Cross-platform support is very nice too as it's one of the last developer tools holding on me Windows.

15. Billy4184

Billy4184

Nice video, and interesting topic. My take generally on 'intelligent' tools is that they often end up being more trouble than they are worth. It takes quite a while to fully grasp the design principles of any such tool, become comfortable with the way that it switches context, learn how to set up all its features and and make it instinctive to use. Also, in my experience, manual input builds a clearer picture in one's mind as to what you have done and are aiming to do, and helps maintain focus.

Another thing is that when using such tools, it's easy for a small design decision to become very annoying. For example, with intellisense in visual studio, I like to type in at least a full word when calling a function or variable. I've noticed that very often, for some reason, intellisense likes to switch to something different on the last letter of a word. So you hammer in a few letters and it has highlighted what you want, and then on the last letter + enter, there's a sleight of hand and you end up with something entirely different.

Anyway, generally speaking, I try to avoid small 'helper' tools and aim to build a workflow instead out of full frameworks that really take a chunk out of the time and effort required to do something. I'd rather learn a completely different workflow and get fully used to it than have a 'backseat driver' trying to fill in the blanks on what I'm doing. I can type pretty fast, and my autopilot works pretty well too.

I don't know what else JetBrains has to offer, but this particular thing doesn't feel like it would make a lot of difference for me.

Just my 2c.

16. Anaxis_Studio

Anaxis_Studio

Yes, if that video is solely a tutorial on how to use their paid product with no actual "teaching". It's a product demonstration essentially. Marking it as a "video tutorial" is disingenuous imo.

Are you teaching me something that I can replicate or code myself without having to pay/purchase a product? no. (am I wrong about this? and this ignores essentially the "free trial" because that doesn't count)

Because of this it could be considered as breaking one of the community rules:

- 1b. Spamming, including duplicate threads or posts and advertising

However, since a mod has already commented and not closed it I assume it doesn't meet their definition of advertising.

I should point out I don't believe you're "doing it purposefully" or trying to skirt the system. I think you're intentions are good but at the end of the day it does appear you're essentially advertising a paid product.

The guidelines are a bit vague. What does "advertising" actually mean in this context?

1) some random person spam posting "plz download my new game" is obviously advertising and bad.

2) "Hey, I have a really cool product that fixes problem X and Y" is still an advert but could be considered useful (how else would I find out about your product) so maybe your post is ok.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  17. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Unity wants evangelists, or youtubers or passionate content creators to share their videos here, similar to brackeys and so on. These are in fact monetised in some form or other but so long as there's something of value, it's good.

Putting it in scripting was understandably a huge mistake though ;)

Anaxis_Studio and lordofduct like this.