Search Unity

Question Video track glitches using Timeline and Unity Recorder

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by ProjectileVomitTV, Mar 9, 2021.

1. ProjectileVomitTV

ProjectileVomitTV

I'm having a glitch problem when using a video track in Timeline with the Unity Recorder. So I have quite a lot of post-processing going on that means the project doesn't really play in real-time. That doesn't matter though because my final output is a video, not a game. When I've been using the unity recorder with the timeline, everything has been syncing up and playing at the correct speed. However, now I have a video track in the timeline with my main character on it and when I record the output with unity recorder, sometimes the video of the character is actually going back in frames and then forwards again creating glitches. When I play the project in the editor it plays slower than real-time, but the glitches aren't there. When I press play in the timeline the same, it plays slower than real-time but the glitches aren't there. It's only when using the unity recorder this happens. Seems like some kind of synchronisation problem. Anyone got any idea how to fix it?

It's an HDRP project in Unity 2020.2.6f1. HDRP version is 10.3.1. Timeline version is 1.4.6. Unity Recorder version is 2.5.4.

2. ProjectileVomitTV

ProjectileVomitTV

So as I understand it (I'm still learning), the VideoPlayer uses a different method for updating time, which creates all kinds of problems when using the Unity Recorder. I've eventually found a workaround by turning my over 3-minute long source clip into an image sequence and creating a lit sprite material so I can get shadows, but this is not really workable in the long term as a workflow. If Unity want people doing virtual production using their platform this needs to be sorted out really quickly. Seems like the issue has been known about for quite a while already. People are just going to end up switching to Unreal, which is a shame because I much prefer Unity.