Search Unity

1. Unity 2018.3 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We've updated our Terms of Service. Please read our blog post from Unity CTO and Co-Founder Joachim Ante here
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to provide direct feedback to the Unity team? Join the Unity Advisory Panel.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice

Video Texture in Timeline

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by Tobb, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Tobb

Tobb

Hello!
    I'm trying to find out if it's possible to insert a video texture in timeline, so that timeline controls the state of a video texture(i.e. fast forward, rewind, pause, replay, etc.).

Basically what I have is this:
    Character animation is being controlled by timeline.
    There is a scrub tool which user can manipulate during play mode to rewind/fast forward animation.
    One of the shaders for the character is using video texture.
    Everything is in sync on awake, but if a user scrubs to a different frame, the video texture doesn't change.

Is there a way to insert a video texture in time line? Is this even possible? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

2. mikew_unity

mikew_unity

Unity Technologies

3. Tobb

Tobb

Hi Mike,
    At the moment I'm using video player component and plugging the video texture into the shader. I've followed "Playing Video in Unity" tutorial, which was super helpful. There's a time line scrubber ui a player can manipulate during play mode. When a player moves a scrubber, animation and audio change accordingly, but not video textures. I'm guessing that's because video texture isn't a part of time line. Is it even possible to add a video texture into time line? Thank you for your time!

Playing Video in Unity tutorial

4. mikew_unity

mikew_unity

Unity Technologies

Check the asset store package that I linked to - there is a custom video track that you can use to drop video onto timeline.

5. Tobb

Tobb

Thank you so much for the link! For some reason I totally missed it. I will check it out and post follow up questions if I come across more hiccups. :)

6. Elliott-Mitchell

Elliott-Mitchell

Questions:

1) Does the video playable track that's bundled in the Default Playables package support preview / scrubbing in the timeline?

2) Is the documentation missing info on the video playable?

EDIT - I see this is a separate doc in the package VideoScriptPlayable.pdf
    3) Are there any examples of the video playable we can look at?

EDIT 2 - Looks like the VideoScriptPlayable.pdf is incomplete too.

Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 6:53 PM
  7. Tobb

Tobb

HI Elliott,
    I ended up using AVPro. Unfortunately I can't share my project with you, but if you are looking for more robust video player tool for unity, I recommend AVPro. It's expensive though.

Elliott-Mitchell likes this.
  8. Elliott-Mitchell

Elliott-Mitchell

Hi Rob,

Thanks! This is what others have told me as well. Maybe my client will pickup AVPro for me?