Search Unity

Video question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by trenken, Jun 14, 2018.

1. trenken

trenken

I want to put a youtube video on a media screen, so I changed the video component to URL, but it just wont play any YT vids. I can only get video to work if I import an MP4.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to getting YT vids to play in unity? Been googling this for a while with no luck. Thought this would be something simple but maybe its not.

2. iamthwee

iamthwee

Prolly not a good idea, as it requires an internet connection. What if your players are on a 56K dialup?

3. trenken

trenken

Not worried about that. This is for events where we will always have a connection.

4. verybinary

verybinary

Why not download the video, play it locally, and credit the youtube account?

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  5. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Does a Youtube video URL go to the video itself, or to a page that displays the video?

6. verybinary

verybinary

im pretty sure its youtube.com/hjgFhjgfJHgfjhG
    so that's a good point. if you can get a direct link to the embedded video, it should work?

EDIT: Joe brought up a good point, two down.
    ignore my original post. bad idea. is the original video yours? do you have the original and only trying to link youtube by default? if not, contact the original owner.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  7. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Related to this topic - If this is a product for sale, attempting to link a video created by someone else other than OP - copyright and dmca should be reviewed prior to publishing.

8. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Unless you've got specific written permission from YouTube/Google to do this (which I doubt, since if you did they would probably tell you how to do it), you would be violating the YouTube Terms of Service section 4 subsection C, and possibly section 5 B and C. You'd also be in violation of 5 B if you download the video without a download link (which I think are pretty rare). Personally, I'd stay clear of anything that could bring a lawsuit from YouTube/Google, but that's just me.

https://www.youtube.com/static?template=terms

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    theANMATOR2b likes this.