Search Unity

Question Video Player Sometimes Not Playing On Android Devices

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Phobez, Feb 7, 2022.

1. Phobez

Phobez

Hello, my team and I are currently developing a 2D arcade game for the Android and we've been having some issues with the Video Player.

We're using a video on forever loop for our background and during testing we noticed some devices had issues with the background. At first, they'd play just fine. But at some point they might stop playing, as in they'd pause. The video will remain paused until they reopen the game. We've tested the game on maybe around 8 devices among our friends and family, but only 2 devices seem to have the issue. As far as specifications go, they're pretty good (Zenfone Max Pro M2 and Samsung Galaxy Note 8). They're both Android 9, but another Android 9 device had no issues. We thought maybe lag, but no testers have reported feeling any lag.

The video uses H264 Base Profile encoding which fixed a previous issue where it was just black on some devices (it was previously a different H264 encoding).

Has anyone ever experienced this issue? Or maybe has some insight? Maybe we've missed something. If that's the case, perhaps someone out there could point us in the right direction? We've been stuck on this bug for several weeks now and we have absolutely no idea how to fix it. Any help would be appreciated!

I'll also gladly provide any additional information if that helps.

2. The_Island

The_Island

Unity Technologies

We try to be as seamless as we can across multiple platforms, but it is always a challenge. Even more so on a platform like Android, where there are many different devices. It is not expected that the VideoPlayer pauses without being asked so. I would recommend you fill out a bug report with the same information and the approximate time it takes to pause (Because it takes a will, right?). It will allow us to investigate the issue.

3. Phobez

Phobez

Hi The_Island, thank you for your answer. Sure, I'll be glad to try and post this as a bug report. Could you possibly tell me where I could post bugs?

4. The_Island

The_Island

Unity Technologies

Phobez likes this.
  5. Phobez

Phobez

Likewise, sorry for the delay. Thanks!

6. unity_3679FDD5A289FD852F87

unity_3679FDD5A289FD852F87

Hi, Any update regarding this issue?