Search Unity

Feedback Video Player, HTML5/WebGL, and the Browser AutoPlay Setting

Discussion in 'Web' started by zenasprime, Oct 19, 2019.

1. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

@jukka_j if this just works, why is it not implemented into the engine itself for WebGL?

DerrickBarra likes this.
  2. jukka_j

jukka_j

Unity Technologies

The above will only work if the video playback is initiated from within the InputListener callback code. Developers may start video playback from all sorts of code, so if the above workaround was used, it would mean that users would need to refactor their video playback code to always happen from inside a specific section in code.

The intent is to defer the actions the other way around, i.e. to queue the video playback request, and activate it on the next suitable input event. That way general code should work.

Although this issue has unfortunately been sitting in the bug backlog for a while, we have been hard working on Unity 2021.2 update in the WebGL team along with new wasm compiler update and compressed audio and textures support, which has sadly taken priority.

ROBYER1 and DerrickBarra like this.
  3. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

Thanks for the detailed response, I may have sounded a bit miffed as these bugs came about when we hit the testing phase and the workarounds were a bit of a pain with deadlines looming we had to retest everything loads after to make sure the hacky fix didn't break much else!

4. Ikaro88

Ikaro88

This is cool!
    It worked on mac with safari!
    Can you share the html code?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
  5. Ikaro88

Ikaro88

No one can help me about this?

6. hsallander

hsallander

Hi @jukka_j, is this issue issue still in your bug backlog or is there a fix on the horizon? IMO this issue has a much higher impact now since the release of Safari 15 which enables WebGL 2.0 by default.

Thanks!

7. Ikaro88

Ikaro88

this not work on my iphone 12

8. Ikaro88

Ikaro88

no solution yet for this????

9. KamilCSPS

KamilCSPS

What's the bug report #? Nothing happens until you file one.

10. Ikaro88

Ikaro88

11. KamilCSPS

KamilCSPS

And you can also see that it resolved the issue for some but not for others. So it might be another issue at play.

For almost a year after the fix landed, no one complained. You acting as if the last 2 years were in a vacuum and not opening another ticket is on you.

Drop the drama if you want to be taken seriously.

12. Ikaro88

Ikaro88

"For almost a year after the fix landed, no one complained"
    Here I see other people complaining before a year, did I read it wrong?
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/video-not-playing-on-ios-in-webgl.1167161/#post-8739657

Anyway I will try to open another bug report but usually this not solve the problem (at least did not work for the last 10 years of job using unity)
    Since you seems to know how to work inside the Unity company, can you share with me if I have to do extra steps other than just open the bug report?
    Thanks for your time

13. KamilCSPS

KamilCSPS

Been using it professionally for almost 13 years. I feel the pain but it's not impossible to get things fixed.

Simple repro project (empty if possible), clean forum post (can reference other threads such as this one), reference existing bug reports that were closed, wait for dev to get attention - if not tag some Unity devs that you see posting this forum.

If QA close the bug or can't repro, contact them to explain why.

14. Ikaro88

Ikaro88

Thanks for the info, I opened a bug report with the unity hub, but it not give me the # number of the issue opened.
    I received an email with this code: IN-30625 is this the code?

Maybe I have to open the bug from some other places?
    I also created a new project with unity 2021.3.16, just played a video and still facing the same issue...

I can give you the zip of the project if you can help me