Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Video Video Player constantly buffering, no smooth playback

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Aaron-Meyers, Dec 13, 2022.

1. Aaron-Meyers

Aaron-Meyers

I'm having a problem with video players in Unity having extremely choppy playback when playing back a remote file. I first noticed this on an old project that never had problems like this before, but then I tried making a new simple project to reproduce it and it happens there too.

These are not super high bitrate files and if I paste the URL into a web browser, it easily plays back the file without any stops. I can also see from the browser UI that it buffers a large amount of it very quickly, so I really don't think the issue in Unity has anything to do with my bandwith (just ran speedtest.net and got 583Mbps downstream).

I thought maybe the windows firewall could be blocking something but I checked and there are no issues there. What might cause such poor download performance with the video player?

I've tried it with the Unity native video player and the UMP asset and it's the same situation with both.