Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Video Video player component playback IOS frame drop or lag issue issue

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Rownan22, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Rownan22

Rownan22

Hi,

So I am using 5.6.2.p4 and then upgraded to 2017.1 but neither fixed the issue.
    The issue is the videos play perfectly on android and pc, however no matter what format i use, or even transcoded the video clips in my project always seem to drop frames, or skip, I do have the video preparing before playing, even doing all this the video drops or skips frames loosing a good chunk of the video content in the process.

Any Ideas for fixes?

Nathan

2. TillmaniaLtd

TillmaniaLtd

Having the same issues. 5.6.1 seems to be the most stable version of VideoPlayer. It plays without issue on iOS in this version. As soon as I upgraded I began having serious frame drops and sync issues no matter how compressed the videos were in transcode.

3. Rownan22

Rownan22

Glad im not the only one! my issue it seems was i was using 4k video where Ios can only handle 1920x1080 i believe could be wrong but once i converted my videos to 1920x1080 it was as smooth as butter.
    hope that helps you!

4. TillmaniaLtd

TillmaniaLtd

Hmm my videos are an odd resolution 810x1080 so I dont think its that. Did you set the videos to transcode?

5. jason_yak

jason_yak

I'm seeing these issues as well. I was getting ok playback in version v5.6.2f1 and after upgrading to 2017.1.1p1 I'm getting really garbled compression looking issues where the video feed goes all strange and audio thats dropping and out of sync. This only happens when playing back on an iOS device. Just great... we need to submit an iOS11 compatibility update asap and we've found a regression bug that's a showstopper.

6. Fernandxor

Fernandxor

Not sure if this is related, but with 2017.1.1 I'm having issues with URL playback (streamed). On Android, Videoplayer seems to drop a lot of frames, or may be more like pausing a bit every second. And sometimes (ramdomly?) it doesn't even play at all, getting stuck at first frame. I's this happening to anyone else?

trainerhoon likes this.
  7. smetzzz

smetzzz

Using 2017.2.0b11 I had bad video compression artifacting when playing on iOS but I seemed to have fixed it by changing the compression settings. The video looks fine now but the audio is way out of sync.

8. matbou

matbou

Hi ,
    I am seeing the same issue on iOS 11 with my app built with Unity 2017.2. Have you found a workaround for this ?
    Thanks!

9. shura0123

shura0123

i have tried all possible ways of using the video player and have not been able to play videos in IOS 11, i TRIED DIFFERENT FORMATS, CODECS, TRANSCODE ON, PLAY ON TEXTURE, PLAY WITH MATERIAL OVERRIDE, RENDER TEXTURE, PLAY ON THE CAMERA, TRY TO PLAY FROM URL BOTH HTTP AND HTTPS, FROM PERSISTANT PATH, FROM RESOURCES AND STREAMING ASSETS AND MANUALLY SETTING THE VIDS IN SCENE BUT NO DAMN LUCK!!!!

I tried different ways of my code, couroutine, non coroutine, in Update, video.prepare(), event based, nothing works on IOS. I am using 2018.1.6f1 PRO

10. Jeet_9811

Jeet_9811

I am also facing the same issue on my AR application where I am loading the video from url and playing it using Unity video player. The video plays fine on Android but lags Heavily on iPhone 6. It plays fine on iphone 7 and iPhone X.

I have checked changing the Unity "Multithreaded rendering" on /off but no luck. Also switched off the "auto graphic api" but doesn't get any difference.

I am using Unity 2018.3.1f1 with Vuforia version 7.5.26. I do not know if changing the video setting will help. Please suggest if somebody has already faced the same problem.

11. jayseong

jayseong

Were you able to figure out the issue? I am experiencing the same issue on Android, using ARCore. Video is very laggy and choppy, but sometimes on the 2nd or 3rd retry, it plays smooth. I have tried disabling multithreaded rendering with no luck.

12. Jeet_9811

Jeet_9811

Well I was not able to resolve the issue completely but you can make the video play better by converting the .mp4 file format to .webm file. This will reduce the file size drastically and help download the file quickly. You can also reduce the resolution and the bitrate of the video to make it much lighter.

13. trainerhoon

trainerhoon

Have the same problem.

Play a short video in loop using a URL.
    Frame drops occur when the video starts looping.
    If you're unlucky, the video won't move even if you repeat it more than 3 times.
    So the video seems to be frozen.

Unity version is 2022.1.0f1.

I tried both mp4 and webm.
    I also converted it to the vp8 codec.
    I also turned off the multithreaded rendering option in the project settings.

This is terrible.
    How can i solve this problem?