Search Unity

Video playback issues

Discussion in 'Daydream' started by AndrewRH, Oct 21, 2016.

1. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi,

We make the plugin AVPro Video and have recently been doing tests on Daydream. I know it's still an early release, but we're seeing some performance issues that causes the video playback to no be smooth.

If I build our video playing test app without VR enabled, the video plays back smoothly, but with VR enabled it is jittery. We don't have this problem on the Gear VR (Galaxy S6).

I have tried setting the targetFrameRate=60 but that didn't change anything. When I attach the Unity profiler it's obvious that it's very often not hitting 60 (but in non-VR mode it hits it fine). The scene itself is very simple (1 opaque sphere), there is no GC and the video player is using an OES texture.

Anyone have any idea what the issue could be, or perhaps whether it's worth sending over an APK?

Thanks,

b4th likes this.
  2. SuperUber

SuperUber

Hi Andrew,

thanks for sharing this info, we sent you an support request for a related issue today.
    We are having problem with blue glitchs on Google Pixel phone.
    In the Nexus 6P we changed to use EOS textures, it prints this error message:
    "OPENGL NATIVE PLUG-IN ERROR: GL_INVALID_OPERATION: Operation illegal in current state"

For this message we found your other related post:
    https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/android-oes-texture-support.436979/

But as DayDream Unity is running in 5.4.1 and 5.4.2, we cannot rollback further to avoid this.
    We are concerned that there is no solution for this brand new environment.

We are on top of this all the day, any news are really welcome.

Thanks!

b4th likes this.
  3. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Yes I was hoping to start dialog with someone at Untiy/Google about these issues :) Sorry I don't have any solution yet, it seems to be something related to Unity since 5.4.x or the implementation of Daydream and how it interacts with the hardware. We're all working pretty much with bleeding edge versions of things (Unity version, phone hardware, Daydream) so I'm not surprised there are these issues. I'm sure they'll get resolved as things start to settle down.

4. b4th

b4th

Hi @AndrewRH, this issue appears to be fixed in the latest Technical Preview release - 5.4.2f2-GVR13. Give it a try!