Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Video not playing on Steamdeck (tried converting to webm)

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by potatomasterrace, Nov 25, 2023.

1. potatomasterrace

potatomasterrace

So I had a .mov file which I was able to play in my game build, but only on Windows. It did not work when I played the game on steamdeck. I did some googling and apparently only certain video codecs compatible with steamdeck (the linux ones below)

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/VideoSources-FileCompatibility.html

So I used VLC player to change the video from .mov to .Webm (VP80 + Vorbis in VLC player).

The video still doesn't play on steamdeck, and furthermore it doesn't work on the PC build either now lol. I can watch the .webm video fine in other video players like media player or VLC or whatever, just doesn't work in game.

Does it need to be a specific type of webm or am I missing something here, maybe .webm gets handled differently to .mov in unity?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

2. potatomasterrace

potatomasterrace

thanks. seems vlc didnt offer any other conversion, but i converted using ffmpeg and it produced a webm that works!

halley likes this.
  3. halley

halley

Can you provide your ffmpeg command line recipe for that conversion? I'm sure it will help out a lot of people.

4. potatomasterrace

potatomasterrace

ffmpeg -i input.mov -c:v libvpx -b:v 1M -c:a libvorbis output.webm

i think that was it. i just asked chatgpt before and asked again and it gave that for converting from .mov to webm vp8