Search Unity

[video] how to stop MonoDevelop from crashing due to EOL issues

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TheMessyCoder, Apr 1, 2017.

1. TheMessyCoder

TheMessyCoder

Hi,

A few friends and community members I have spoken to complained about MonoDevelop crashing. Like them I have smashed my head against the desk many times when MonoDevelop has crashed on me mid project.

I tried this before and I havent had a crash since, so I made a quick 3 minute video hopefully will help at least 1 other person out there in the world.

The crashes that people have been talking to me about were due to MonoDevelop freaking out when trying to open up files saved with Unix End of Lines when MonoDevelop is set to use Windows EOL as default.

If you know any other solutions to stop different types of MonoDevelop crashes, I would love to hear them.Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
    Whippets likes this.
  2. carking1996

carking1996

Solution is to use VS instead for me. :)

Acissathar, Peter77, Ryiah and 3 others like this.
  3. TheMessyCoder

TheMessyCoder

Aha! 'Tis a cunning plan! But it is a bit cheating if you want to keep using MonoDevelop.

While I do enjoy Visual Studio as much as the next badger, I have grown fond of mono develop recently. I havnt tried the free "Visual Studio Code" yet though.

4. ippdev

ippdev

I ain't watching a video. explain it in text.

Ryiah, angrypenguin and Blacklight like this.
  5. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

I solved all my MonoDevelop problems really easily:

6. DragonSAR2013

DragonSAR2013

Same Here!

7. TheMessyCoder

TheMessyCoder

hehe it is one of the few times that people say that using Microsoft is better than an alternative.

yep with VS Code being free, I dont see much point to keep to Mono Develop.

But when I was asked the question it was specifically for hot to resolve the crashing with MonoDevelop, so I figured someone else might have use for this solution for MonoDevelop.

But call me crazy, I still prefer using Notpad++, I think it must be due to being forced to use VIM for all those years.

8. DragonSAR2013

DragonSAR2013

Thanks for the solution. I think Mono Develop probably will get more updates since Microsoft has gotten Xamarin. Visual Studio for Mac Preview is also available for Mac users.

TheMessyCoder likes this.
  9. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Especially with the clickbaity title and intro. We're here to participate in a community, not to up each others' YouTube view counters...

Edit: The post has since been updated to address this, so it's no longer relevant.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
    Kiwasi, Ryiah and HemiMG like this.
  10. DragonSAR2013

DragonSAR2013

Videos does help since hobbyists like me can see a solution to an issue and try it out easily without wasting time but probably not many people have time to watch videos so may be adding an additional text with step by step instructions will be helpful as well.

11. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with videos in and of themselves. It's the title and intro that are causing these reactions. It's being deliberately vague, and holding the important information just out of reach, so that we're tricked into clicking to find out what it is rather than because we think the information will be useful.

This seems to work well for mass-media stuff where people mostly just want to be entertained. But in an environment like this where most people are here to learn there's a high risk of sending the wrong message.

Ryiah likes this.
  12. Ryiah

Ryiah

Videos are only faster if you're comparing them to pure text. Text combined with images though can be significantly faster simply because most people can read far faster than they are capable of interpreting speech and you're not waiting for them to finally get to the visual steps. That's not counting the extraneous dialogue which most videos including this one have.

He spends three minutes on a single tip which consists of setting an option and using a feature of a text editor.

Unity defaults to UNIX line endings. His Mono Develop is defaulting to Windows ones. It results in a crash. He is simply setting up MD to use UNIX line endings and converting the default script templates to them as well.

Here are some images to go along with my explanation. Doubt you need them but it proves my point about videos.

mono-develop.png notepad.png

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  13. TheMessyCoder

TheMessyCoder

no problem but then obviously not really a problem for you :) but I added description saying what is the issue to resolve.

the click bait title was a joke, however due to differences in cultures/languages maybe wasnt a very obvious one. updated :)

I updated the title and original post, removing my very bad joke. Now its clear what the tip is and what the video is about.

Glad the changes are okay and resolved the issues and complaints.

Thanks for all the feedback. My intention was never to mislead or trick anyone. Instead just to have a little fun with a boring thread title and subject matter.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  14. TheMessyCoder

TheMessyCoder

Thanks @Ryiah.

To be fair, it is 2 tips :) depending on what you prefer to do. Either
    a) change MonoDevelop to have Unix as default (which is my prefered)
    or
    b) change the default script template to have Windows EOL. (which some prefer, but wont stop you crashing when you try to open someone elses Unix EOL file)

I find that a video seems to be a lot quicker, when trying to explain what the crash actually is and showing how it happens.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
    DragonSAR2013 likes this.
  15. Ryiah

Ryiah

Perhaps. I'm just annoyed with video tutorials in general because there may have been something beneficial in many of them but due to a lack of time and lack of desire to go skimming through them hoping I stumble upon the correct point in time where it takes place I'll likely never know.

Samuel411 and TheMessyCoder like this.
  16. TheMessyCoder

TheMessyCoder

Yeh, I agree. In some videos I have watched for over an hour, only to find that only a few bits of it were what I was looking for. but I couldnt skip bits just in case I missed anything.

I appreciate the feedback. I tried to keep it short, but I still have a bit of a conversational side that cant help but come through. Still trying to make things more concise.

17. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I just saw that the thread title and OP have been updated, and wanted to pop in and say... nice!

18. TheMessyCoder

TheMessyCoder

Cheers Angry Penguin.