Search Unity

Video Development Series (Retro Dungeon)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Littlenorwegians, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Littlenorwegians

Littlenorwegians

Check out the website and forums.

Amazing, it's been a little over a month and I am in love with Unity! Great progress have been made in very little time. Especailly considering I am a newbie, especialy when it comes to programming.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  2. EricTheCoolDude

EricTheCoolDude

This looks really promising, actually! It'll be fun to see what it becomes.

3. Ayrik

Ayrik

That looks really awesome. I'm looking forward to watching the next video!

4. HeadClot

HeadClot

I too am watching :)

Cannot get enough of these games

5. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

This is too cool! This is almost exactly what I am planning on doing myself. I love the art style that you've chosen and I think it looks very consistent and slick. It already looks like a lot of fun and I hope it's a huge success.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  6. Ayrik

Ayrik

What platform are you targetting? It would be great to play this on my tablet!

7. Littlenorwegians

Littlenorwegians

Wow, thanks! All of you! :D
    I'll be sure to update this thread once a new video comes out. ;)

Currently, I am just making this for PC, and I guess Unity runs well with Mac as a standard.
    I might very well end up making a tablet version, down the line. This game has a style that's easy the requirements list.
    Again, thanks everyone.

8. Littlenorwegians

Littlenorwegians

Check out the website and forums.

This video deals with the story and setting, which will lend context to the setting. These are the bare-bones of the world (Important not to overload people with info) and more will come in future videos.

Any thoughts?

9. Salim

Salim

I like the story, that's a very interesting world. Keep it up!

10. Littlenorwegians

Littlenorwegians

Thanks. More will come. ;)

11. Littlenorwegians

Littlenorwegians

Sorry for the double post, but I kinda want a little info on what you guys want to see.

Now, these videos are bare-bones. I will, for example, go more in-depth in later videos and especially on the website Retrodungeon.net.

This is very important because I, as the creator, have a much different view than you, the observer. I, of course, know everything and I'm trying to tell you, the observer, about what I know. What I want to avoid is not being clear and not making sense.

So, please, be honest. What do you want to know? What's missing? What could be improved.
    And I would still like to thank you all for the support, even prior to this project when I was just starting out. :D

12. Ayrik

Ayrik

Nothing's missing I think it's all great, we just want more!

13. GrimWare

GrimWare

I would like to see more, how about some gameplay, even if it is just wandering around the rooms you have built now.

14. Salim

Salim

I think if you just show something new each time, it can be interesting.

15. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

I love this retro look. My second game I am planning will be something like this mutiplayer. You have done a great job so far I look forward to seeing this games updates.

16. Littlenorwegians

Littlenorwegians

Well, good to hear I am on a good path, at least. :D
    I will continue on this great adventure.

Well, gameplay is the one thing that takes the most time, but it will come and soon.
    Currently doing major breakthroughs and I am actually doing combat with a basic AI.
    You have no idea how crazy it is to be able to do this. Me, who's always considered myself a bad programmer, can do stuff! Amazing.

I'll be doing a video about every 2 weeks, but I will be using the website I have a whole lot more now to post about lore, game mechanics, level design. Also, I just got a really good voice actor. Feels great.

Thanks for the boost, Dreamlarp, Salim, Grimware and Ayrik. :)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  17. Littlenorwegians

Littlenorwegians

Some assets for the game.

Because, not only am I learning Unity, uScript, Blender and GIMP, but also Sculptris!
    So, yeah. Very educational all-around. And actually, I don't feel I am spreading myself thin due to a strong plan and excellent workflow.

(Small size of images is because, well, they are about 32x32,64x64, 128x128 pixels depending on the item. Heck, nowadays characters have about 4000-6000 polys? I have 1 with differing bitmap size. :D
    Open image URL and zoom for glorious pixels.)

18. joshimoo

joshimoo

What was your reasoning behind using a billboard versus the actual 3D model?

19. Littlenorwegians

Littlenorwegians

A number of reasons.

The obvious one is that I am imitating the old PC RPGs which used such technology.

The other being, well, call it stylization. I'm not so good that I can easily create good-looking, nicely animated 3d models. Besides, It'd look a bit off with the scenery and all. Unless you'd want me to create characters with about 200 polygons, looking like models from System Shock 2.

It also saves a lot of time on the time consuming process of creating optimized 3d models. Now I can sculpt and animate, rather than worry about optimizing everything, which is time-consuming work.

Also, also, I'll end up with a game most PCs can run. :)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  20. Littlenorwegians

Littlenorwegians

Hey, so first of all. New video delayed because, well, you can read here.
    Basically, I am afraid of show bare-bones combat because though it might function, it's not exactly presentable.

But the big thing. I am looking for voice actors. I'm basically looking everywhere, so here is as good as any other place, right?
    So, if you are interested or know a place I could ask for some, please say so.

Here's a link to a few of the roles and some details.
    http://michaeltillman.com/forum/index.php?topic=517.0

Feel free to talk if anything seems out of order/missing to you.
    Thanks. :)

21. nofosu1

nofosu1

You've done a great job so far. I love the story and your universe seems to have a lot of depth. Will keep an eye on this.

22. Littlenorwegians

Littlenorwegians

Yay, another follower. I must say, it's quite humbling to see people get interested. Especially this early. Glad to know all this bedroom programming, sculpting and so on pays off.

23. Littlenorwegians

Littlenorwegians

NEW VIDEO!

So, what are your thoughts? This time I actually ask a viewer question in the video, so go ahead.

24. Littlenorwegians

Littlenorwegians

Finally! New video! And it's a big one.

Thoughts?

25. Littlenorwegians

Littlenorwegians

Trying out a new format. Be sure to tell me what you think.

Please don't let me just keep throwing these videos down a hole here. :p

26. Littlenorwegians

Littlenorwegians

Well, I am probably going to stop posting here if it's just me throwing videos agaisnt a brick wall.

unityunity