Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Video Card Updgrade Performing Pooly

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by davidpenasf, Jan 4, 2019.

1. davidpenasf

davidpenasf

I upgraded from a Geforce GTX 470 to a Radeon RX 580 GTS XXX, and Unity is running very poorly on the Radeon. I benchmarked the Radeon, and it's running at the 41st percentile among its peers, so it still runs far better than the 470. Unity ran perfectly well on the 470, and I'm wondering if we are meant to reinstall Unity after video card changes, or when going from Geforce to Radeon. Thank you.

2. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

According to specs alone that card should certainly outperform the older nvidia. As far as I know there's no reason reinstalling would help. How are you measuring the performance differences? It's possible that before the video card wasn't the bottleneck and that the CPU, RAM, or hard drive could have actually been the weak link that caused slow performance that your still seeing with the updated card, and you may only see the new cards performance advantage in heavy GPU tasks that fully utilize the card.

3. davidpenasf

davidpenasf

Thank you for replying, MD. I used the same hardware components with the both cards, and the same scene. My other hardware: I7-950 (3.0 GHz 6-core), 8GB 1333 RAM, and I use a standard SATA3 7200 RPM 16MB buffer HDD. I created a 1,000,000 x .001 x 1,000,000 unit plain as the ground, placed a tree, a block, and Ethan from the standard assets. Geforce 470 had no problems with this configuration. Zero glitching. I'll check on the driver, but I'm now wondering if the 470 is simply more compatible with massive floor scenes.

4. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Hmm, that does seem like a pretty strong system, although I haven't used AMD/ATI cards with unity so I couldn't say for sure if that is something that happens normally. Just to check, in the device manager the card shows up properly as having a driver installed? I can only think maybe there's a driver issue that might cause it to use a generic driver instead of the AMD one.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  5. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Check the driver and check that it runs other relatively demanding 3D games properly before you start messing with or blaming Unity specifically.

6. davidpenasf

davidpenasf

Thank you for the replies, and the driver was/is up to date for that card. I had stress tested my cpu, tested my video card with games, utilized benchmark programs, and tested every piece of hardware outside of my motherboard. I'm currently investigating my motherboard's performance. I just built two faster workstations with increased capacities, and I'm also testing the video card's performance on those configurations. Also, there's a possibility that the video card had a faulty physical installation. I'll let you know the outcome, and I have a backup video card (Radeon R9 Fury), but it's not compatible with current or future versions of openGL, so it's not my first choice.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  7. davidpenasf

davidpenasf

The video card is still malfunctioning inside of Unity, despite a significant upgrade in supporting hardware, and a motherboard change. It looks like one of two problems is occurring: 1) the video card is damaged and the issue can only be detected while using Unity, or 2) the video card (Radeon RX 580 GTS XXX 8GB) has compatibility issues with Unity. Drivers are all up to date and accurate.

I'm thinking that option 2 is more likely, as the video card is functioning as it should with every other program I've tested it with (games and benchmarks) .

The second test's workstation specs:
    RAM: 32GB Non-ECC Unbuffered 1600 MHz (PC3 12800)
    Storage Drive: M.2 500GB SSD
    CPU: i7-4930K

I'm going to open a new thread with the video card's name as a title, and see if anyone else if having these issues.
    If you think I should take a different next step, please let me know.

Thank you both, MD and Joe C., for the prompt responses and support. Hope all goes well with your projects.
    -Dave

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    MD_Reptile likes this.
  8. davidpenasf

davidpenasf

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019