Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

VFX to image sequence png with alpha not work (Unity Recorder)

Discussion in 'Visual Effect Graph' started by L_Laurent, Mar 12, 2020.

1. L_Laurent

L_Laurent

Hello,

Firstly, sorry if my explanation doesn't use a very technical lexical field, I'm starting.

I want to extract the VFX into Image sequence (PNG with alpha) for that, i use Unity Recorder.

But for whatever reason, the VFX (and only the vfx) on PNG is invisible if it have transparency behind (it will appear if it have background or visual object). - The camera
    example

Scene Screen
    upload_2020-3-12_8-14-29.png

Result png (different frame) the only part of the VFX we can see it's the part reflected on the round object (It's white because the original image is too big so i take a screen, but the transparency work well)

I try Unity 2018 and 2019...same problem, tried to remove on the cam HDR/MSAA/occlusion, every option possible "Just in case", but same result.

Did anyone have way to fix this problem ? Or maybe know another assets or script who can did the same job than unity recorder, just to check if recorder is the problem.

Thank you for your time.

2. VladVNeykov

VladVNeykov

Unity Technologies

Hi @Permadeath ,

Do other transparent objects show up?
    I might be wrong, but my initial guess is that anything which is not rendering to depth is not showing in the PNG with alpha transparency.

You can try this out by adding a game object with an Alpha material in the scene and render it out.

If that's the issue, you can select the VFX output and change the Blend Mode from Alpha to Opaque.

If you need them to be transparent, you can try forcing Z Write Mode to ON. (though transparent objects in most cases shouldn't write to depth as you can get some weird artifacts):
    upload_2020-3-17_11-55-24.png

Hope this helps!

3. jane00000000

jane00000000

it did not work, the background is not transparent