Search Unity

VFX shader graph - are keywords supported ?

Discussion in 'Visual Effect Graph' started by koirat, Dec 14, 2020.

1. koirat

koirat

I have created VFX shader graph and used bool type keyword.
    Now when I use this shader in vfx output I don't see anywhere option to swap this setting.

2. Qriva

Qriva

Necrobump Unity 2020 - are keywords and shader variants supported in VFX graph?

3. DoctorShinobi

DoctorShinobi

Necrobump Unity 2021.2 - are keywords and shader variants supported in VFX graph?

4. Qriva

Qriva

Actually I got reply to this one from Vita in the other thread and the answer is no. I don't know if they are going to do that in the future, but I guess there is no plan so far.
    I posted this feature on the vfx roadmap, so maybe we will be able to vote soon if it is under consideration.

koirat, DoctorShinobi and VladVNeykov like this.
  5. VladVNeykov

VladVNeykov

Unity Technologies

Heya, @Qriva is correct, keywords (and a few other types, like exposed diffusion profiles) are currently not supported in the VFX Shader Graph integration.

In 2021.2 onwards with the new integration the following inspector warning should appear if you try to use keywords:
    (Keyword) blackboard properties in Shader Graph are currently not supported in Visual Effect shaders. Falling back to default generation path.

We are discussing also at the moment an update on our ShaderGraph integration docs page to give a bit more detailed overview on this and similar questions (as there are a few other limitations beyond blackboard types, like decal or sprite materials in a URP VFX ShaderGraph are also not supported at the moment).

6. koirat

koirat

But is it ever going to be supported ?
    There are no plans for this or it is technically impossible ?

7. VladVNeykov

VladVNeykov

Unity Technologies

It is possible and we would like to support this in the future.