Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.

VFX GRapn noise range disabmiguation

Discussion in 'Visual Effect Graph' started by deadfallgame, Sep 27, 2020.

1. deadfallgame

deadfallgame

What exactly means range in noise Operator? Suppose I need noise values within rande [0,1]. When I use this range in block params I get different result.

2. JulienF_Unity

JulienF_Unity

Unity Technologies

Hi, range would be the range of the output of the noise operator. If you set it to [0,1], you'll get an output between 0 and 1 etc.

3. deadfallgame

deadfallgame

no :) see my picture below

4. deadfallgame

deadfallgame

Here some test

Attached Files:

5. JulienF_Unity

JulienF_Unity

Unity Technologies

Try to increase the frequency or the range of the input. Here you are sampling between 0 and 1 with a frequency of 1, which means you're likely not hitting the whole range

6. deadfallgame

deadfallgame

Changed frequency to 1000, results cganged but slightly. New pic in attach

Attached Files:

7. JulienF_Unity

JulienF_Unity

Unity Technologies

Well value and perlin noise are in the correct range.

Cellular looks strange though. It's expected that the distribution along the range is not linear., cellular noise is essentially a distant field. 1 should be the theorical max but it really does seem far from being hit here.

Anyway, range property is the guaranteed range of the output noise, it does not ensure values are uniformly distributed within it.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  8. deadfallgame

deadfallgame

Well, perlin values slightly differs from range and celluar differs sufficiently. By the way these results I collected when one octave set. If I set more octaves even value noise will deviate from bounds. Seems like normalization problem. Should I report a bug?