Search Unity

Bug VFX Graphs keep recompiling

Discussion in 'Visual Effect Graph' started by DigitalChaotics, Jan 21, 2023.

1. DigitalChaotics

DigitalChaotics

My VFX graphs get recompiled any time I modify the Unity project. Anytime I hit "Save", I get to spend the next 7 minutes waiting...

This is a new behavior, appearing in 2022.2.2f1. Definitely not acceptable.

Is my configuration wrong, or is this a bug?

-

Update #1: I clicked on a Material (w/custom shader) in the Project view. Boom. All shaders & graphs recompile.

Update #2: I added a component to a GameObject. The component has no VFX dependencies. Boom.

Update #3: Still exists in 2022.2.3f1

-

Last Edit: I realize that this is a crap bug report. The steps to reproduce are so random that it's just... ...well, I guess I just didn't want you all to think you'd "fixed" the recompile issues.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2023
    iDerp69 and SeanR10Chambers like this.
  2. Vita-

Vita-

Unity Technologies

Hey, that sounds really frustrating :( Regarding the updates section you wrote, it's really odd that something that doesn't have VFX dependencies can cause VFX recompilation. I've been working on a fairly large test project recently, but haven't observed anything similar (it would lead to around 1 hour of recompilation, in this specific case, ouch!). That being said, do you mind reporting a bug and sharing its number here? I'll keep an eye out, and if it's valid, I'll forward it to our engineers to investigate further.

3. Slaktarkuno

Slaktarkuno

Getting this too and have been getting through versions 2021 - 2022. Dunno how many combined hours our studio (100ppl) have had to wait, very expensive :)

SeanR10Chambers likes this.
  4. SeanR10Chambers

SeanR10Chambers

Concurring, currently over 30 people have most vfx graphs checked out with local changes because Unity's Perforce integration.

This also means exclusive check-out for vfx graphs becomes entirely impossible, which is a BIG issue for a studio our size.

5. Slaktarkuno

Slaktarkuno

Any news on this? Issue persists and seem to be worsening in 2022.3.

6. iDerp69

iDerp69

I randomly started experiencing this in 2022.3. I never used to have this happen, until one day... congratulations... you get to recompile all your VFX graphs every time you save, every time you enter play mode. Also when you EXIT play mode. Phenomenal waste of time.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2024
  7. TheBoulanger

TheBoulanger

I'm seeing a similar issue, which just started out of nowhere today (Editor 2021.2.7f1, URP/VFX Graph 12.1.2). Happens when changing any script, entering or exiting play mode.
    Looking at the Editor logs, it seems related to OnActiveRenderPipelineTypeChanged / SRPChanged but I'm not sure why this only started happening today (haven't touched anything related to render pipeline or VFX in a while).
    Is there a bug filed on this yet?

Here is the call stack for the vfx recompilation happening when I enter play mode:

iDerp69 likes this.
  8. TheBoulanger

TheBoulanger

Okay I think I figured out what was wrong in my case, and I managed to find repro steps:
    1. In my game level scene (where I have geo/shaders/lightmaps), I had the "UV Overlap" debug shading mode turned on in the Scene tab
    2. Switch to my main menu scene (which does not contain lightmaps and has the UV Overlap debug mode greyed out, even though it is still selected from my other scene)
    3. Enter play mode from my main menu scene
    4. Exit play mode: that triggers a rebuild of all VFX graphs

If I make sure that the "Shaded" shading mode is on while entering or exiting Play mode, this issue does not happen.
    Not sure how specific to my workflow this is, but hopefully that helps someone else.