Search Unity

Feedback VFX Graph textures search window 2022.2

Discussion in 'Visual Effect Graph' started by HsRo, Aug 24, 2022.

1. HsRo

HsRo

Hello
    version 2022.2.0b5.2822

I know this is beta so it might be improved or I could also be missing something, but I'm really struggling here

- I'm really missing the ability to quickly preview the textures without the need to select the texture and reopen the window for every texture i want to test.

- The window also reloads textures each time. in our main project, it constantly takes 4 seconds each time it opens and i know we'll have way more textures than we've currently got.

- every time the window reloads the textures it shows the top, like in the image above and not the current texture.

I had no issues with the old window it was fast, it takes 0 seconds to show all textures and 0 seconds to preview any texture on the effect, it does the job and it is fast. And i don't think the new search functions is worth that huge waste of time.

*If I'm missing something please help me, we're currently testing 2022.2 preparing for switching when released.

Qriva likes this.
  2. Qriva

Qriva

I would like to add that this window does not pop up every time. I think I got the old one sometimes.
    Also if I am correct there is still that old bug - window shows textures that should not be there (like icons from editor). Both of these things appeared random, however I want to note that I didn't test new version too much.

I can't remember and test this now, but I would like that search field to be initialy selected when window is open, or autoselect when start typing - most of the time there are too many textures to scroll them.

HsRo likes this.
  3. HsRo

HsRo

I believe it only shows when choosing textures inside the graphs, but if you expose the texture property to select textures in the inspector you get the old search window.
    This was my workaround to use the old window but it's a huge pain.

4. HsRo

HsRo

Update:

In version 2022.2.0b4 I wasn't able to use this window at all because once I open it the project will give the Busy loading bar and it will keep loading forever.
    In version 2022.2.0b5 I thought this was fixed because it didn't happen the first time I tried it, but right now unfortunately it's happening again.

5. Julien-A

Julien-A

Unity Technologies

Hi,
    Thank you for giving us feedback, this is great value for us.
    Actually the "object" picker inside VFX Graph now uses the new search window.
    I can't tell you when it will be available, but we will improve this window, especially the quick preview when clicking each element.
    About the infinite loading bar, could you tell me if you can work around or if you have a reproduction scenario so we can tackle this issue as soons as possible?
    Thanks.

HsRo likes this.
  6. HsRo

HsRo

Thank you for your reply.
    Glad to hear the quick preview is being worked on.

I do have a workaround which is to quickly type something in the search, this will stop it from loading everything then I can change what I typed until I get the textures I want, also when I open the picker again it still remembers what I typed.
    As for a reproduction scenario, the first time the textures load it takes the longest and if the loading ends successfully, loading textures in this session will take 3-4 seconds. I believe if a first time loading for the textures takes about 10 seconds, the infinite loading bar will appear.
    In a couple of versions (2022.2.0b5 and 2022.2.0b7), the loading bar didn't appear the first time I opened the project right after the editor installation but it starts appearing afterward.
    I hope this helps.