Search Unity

Question VFX-Graph Sorting Mode for Alpha Blended Particles

Discussion in 'Visual Effect Graph' started by VViehmeier, Apr 29, 2021.

1. VViehmeier

VViehmeier

Hello!

I'm currently working with HDRP and VFX-Graph and I'm trying to create some nice smoke.
    My question is, how to sort Particles inside on VFX-Graph based on their age.
    What I want to achieve is the same behavior that Shuriken's Sort Mode (e.g. Oldest in Front) is already providing.

Thanks in Advance!

2. VladVNeykov

VladVNeykov

Unity Technologies

Hey @VViehmeier ,

I'm afraid that is not possible at the moment in the VFX Graph, though supporting more sorting modes is definitely something we'd like to implement.

3. VViehmeier

VViehmeier

Thanks for the reply!
    Well that's a bummer.
    Should I open a feature request or do you have an possible ETA, when/if this will be added?

4. VladVNeykov

VladVNeykov

Unity Technologies

Please send a suggestion explaining why it's important for you. The ETA is dependent on how highly requested a feature is, so hearing what functionality people need helps prioritize future feature work.

5. deadlycrow

deadlycrow

Any news on this? its really frustrating not being able to sort out correctly fire or smoke in 2022. (which are really basic particles anyone would use in their projects), taking in account an older technology (shuriken) already had this.

6. JulienF_Unity

JulienF_Unity

Unity Technologies

7. deadlycrow

deadlycrow

8. VladVNeykov

VladVNeykov

Unity Technologies

Hi @deadlycrow
    Live versions only receive important bugfix backports to ensure their stability. Features are not backported, so sorting modes will only be available from 2022.1 onwards.

If you are on 2022, then you should have access to the new sorting modes.

If you need it in earlier versions, you can probably add a bit of offset away from the camera based on age to use the distance sorting to your advantage. Something like this:

The result will look like this (before/after):

Hope this helps!

Attached Files:

9. deadlycrow

deadlycrow

LOL i meant 2022 as in the current context of our callendar, not the unity version...
    as in a way to say that is kinda unacceptable for modern versions of the engine and its plugins to not support features that were there before...

10. VladVNeykov

VladVNeykov

Unity Technologies

Hi @deadlycrow ,
    The built-in particle system supports the sorting mode in question, so I believe this might be more a question of feature parity between different tools (the old CPU particle system and the new GPU system) than dropped support?

If so, I hope you can empathize that we need to prioritize features based on what we believe can have the biggest impact for our customers, decisions I'm sure you also have to make as a developer. If you are interested, there's a similar discussion here with more information.

Of course, when you need a feature that's not there, that's a pain point we can empathize with, and bringing it up on the forums or on the public roadmap helps us revisit our priorities based on our community's needs (something this thread originally did, and now the feature is live :))

In the meantime, I hope the workaround shared here can help, or you can use the built-in particle system for the effects which need this type of sorting.