Search Unity

VFX Graph not rendering when camera is controlled by Cinemachine& Timeline

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by barakchamo, Nov 3, 2019.

1. barakchamo

barakchamo

Hello!

I'm having issues rendering a VFX Graph particle system when the camera is controlled by Cinemachine and the path position on a Dolly is animated with an animation track on the Timeline.

When the camera is free, or when the Cinemachine brain is disabled, the particle effect, that is clearly
    showing in the scene view, renders in the game view. When the animation track is controlling the blend between the cameras (I have multiple cameras with different Look At targets, all animating along a Dolly at the same time), the particle system disappears.

I noticed that this issue seems to be impacted by the camera blend's update method:
    With Update Method set to Smart Update:
    - Blend Update Method set to Fixed Update shows the effect, but blending doesn't work
    - Blend Update Method set to Late Update blends but effect doesn't show

I'm very new to Cinemachine and there are a few moving parts to setting this up, including the Timeline bindings and the different components, so I really don't know where to start debugging except to say that the effect definitely doesn't show only when camera movement and blending is in progress.

Thanks for any advice!

Attached Files:

2. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Very strange indeed! Can you DM me the project so I can take a look at it?

3. Adam_Myhill

Adam_Myhill

Hi @barakchamo I'm in a heavy VFX graph scene right now, trying to duplicate your issue. Totally different setup of course but I can't make the VFX act up using different CM update methods...

Like Gregory said, if you could package up a small scene with that issue we can take a look. Definitely a strange one!

4. sergiobd

sergiobd

Any clues on how to solve this issue? I'm using cinemachine with VFX graph. I have 2 duplicated VisualEffects but only the first one is rendered when I use cinemachine (it does appear in the scene view, though). If I remove the Cinemachine Brain component, they do render fine in the Game View....

:/

5. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

@sergiobd Can you DM me with a simple project that reproduces this issue?

6. Adam_Myhill

Adam_Myhill

@sergiobd there must be something with your particular setup, we've been using CM + VFX across a number of projects with no issues - so this is good news - hopefully we'll figure out what's up with your setup and get that sorted ASAP.

Please send a sample project with the issue so we can debug it, cheers.