Search Unity

VFX Graph Lit Particles in Build-In RP

Discussion in 'Visual Effect Graph' started by DTS_Jolan, Dec 1, 2020.

1. DTS_Jolan

DTS_Jolan

Hello, is there a way to have lit cube particles using the vfx graph in the Build-In Render Pipeline?
    Even using experimental features?

2. VladVNeykov

VladVNeykov

Unity Technologies

Hi @Jolanix ,

The VFX Graph is not supported in the Built-in Render Pipeline, and while it might run in some versions of Unity, this could change at any moment.

That being said, the built-in shaders are available in the VisualEffectGraph/Shaders/RenderPipeline/Legacy folder for anyone who is interested in implementing and supporting it by themselves outside of the official provided SRP workflow.

3. wlad_s

wlad_s

Hi @VladVNeykov
    Please, how do I use the legacy shaders? I'm trying to make VFX graph work in built-in but no luck so far. Unity 2020.3.2f1, VFX Graph 10.4.0

4. VladVNeykov

VladVNeykov

Unity Technologies

Hi @wlad_s ,
    The VFX graph does not support the built-in pipeline and while it might have worked on some earlier versions, I don't think it works in 2020.3 / 10.4 or later versions. To use the VFX Graph, we recommend switching to HDRP or URP.

5. wlad_s

wlad_s

Oh no :( that's too bad. I hoped you'll at least make it work in LTS versions.

Switching is not an option for my project, unfortunately. I started production before those SRPs were really production ready. Thanks for reply, I'll try reverting back to 2019 LTS.

VladVNeykov likes this.
  6. Drown

Drown

Don't worry wlad, thats just Unity for you. There are dozens of loose ends, different plattforms, compatibility issues and nothing really works together. It got worse with the different renderpipelines. Even asset creators are out of ideas on some of the problems and basically just wait it out until this stuff is somewhat tied together.

I will port my project to Unreal as I am sick of this mess.

ImperativeGames likes this.
  7. wlad_s

wlad_s

Yeah, I know, it's kind of a mess right now. For me it's too late to switch to either another engine or new SRPs.

I think they could have avoided much of the mess if they just have made a new software. Like "Unity Next" or something. Not try to put new stuff into the old software gradually, confusing everyone along the way. Then we'd know what works in Unity and what's "Unity Next" only. Any incompatibility would then be warranted and expected. They'd also see if old Unity is still bringing them more money from subscribers which would either force them to do stuff like bringing VFX graph to the old Unity or achieving feature-parity of Unity Next with the old one and helping out Asset Store Creators to catch up. Now it's all murky and sometimes it feels like you're being tricked, which damages trust.

Drown likes this.
  8. Drown

Drown

Yeah, it is really frustrating and an absolute clusterfuck. The whole experience of setting up a project and integrating standard features feels like patching together random stuff and not like a product. I wonder if those half assed integrations of features like the SRPs while still keeping all the built-in / legacy stuff is a way to be able to market these features way before they are ready. It feels like running an early-access version of a gameengine while at the same time the very own company that runs the assetstore keeps breaking the third-parties attempts to cater to those new features as customers keep requesting it. It is a nightmare tbh.

wlad_s likes this.
  9. MillerMark

MillerMark

Vlad, any workaround for this? I'm modding an existing game built with 2020.3.1f1 and they appear to be using the legacy rendering pipeline.

10. wlad_s

wlad_s

Nope. I ended up using Ultimate GPU Particles from the Asset Store. Had to modify it considerably in order to make it work for my special use-cases. Works really great but takes some time to master it. Once you understand it, you can customize it and add your own features through code.

11. VladVNeykov

VladVNeykov

Unity Technologies

To chime in, if you just need to have lots of particles in the built-in render pipeline, you can also look into the Job System implementation for the built-in particle system. This is a link to an old forum post, you no longer need the custom editor it mentions, but there are some useful samples there.

wlad_s likes this.
  12. Shushustorm

Shushustorm

Woulg be great if VFX graph was supported in built-in. It's an interesting feature, but I need built-in for stability. I also hope built-in stays there and isn't replaced by an incompatible URP, resulting in having to rewrite shaders etc..