Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

[VFX GRAPH] - Is strip (trails) rendering supported in the Universal Pipeline?

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by turboturboturbo, Oct 20, 2019.

1. turboturboturbo

turboturboturbo

I would like to create strips (trails) in the VFX Graph.
    Is this feature not supported on the Universal Pipeline? (I wasn't able to get it to work).

2. JulienF_Unity

JulienF_Unity

Unity Technologies

There are supposed to work yes. Except for the lit strips that are not supported in URP. The feature is still being developed so there may be some bugs, we'll check.

3. Olmi

Olmi

@turboturboturbo you need to first switch your "Data Type" in the Initialize block to "Particle Strip", then you can connect it to an update and also connect that update to a strip output.

I'm just guessing that's one thing you might have stumbled upon if you didn't get it working. Not exactly obvious.

ShiftedClock likes this.
  4. turboturboturbo

turboturboturbo

Ah I see, so the "particle strips" is an attribute in the Initialize block - that can be changed via the Inspector. I found it now.

5. brianchasalow

brianchasalow

@JulienF_Unity @Olmi How do I switch my data type to particle strip in the initialize block? I don't see an option in the inspector for this. I'm on 2019.3b10, and tried both 7.1.2, 7.1.3, and even 8.0.0 from the git repo of the visual effect graph.

Edit: I just did some digging and found this.

https://github.com/Unity-Technologi...ualeffectgraph/Editor/Data/VFXDataParticle.cs
    Line 204.
    Code (CSharp):
    1.         [VFXSetting(VFXSettingAttribute.VisibleFlags.InInspector), SerializeField] // TODO Put back InInsepctor visibility once C++ PR for strips has landed
    2.         protected DataType dataType = DataType.Particle;
    what's going on here? Where does the VFXDataParticle inspector live so that I can click on it and change the dataType? it halfway-works if i click the debug inspector on the 'initialize particle' and THEN dive into the "data" object, changing it from Particle to ParticleStrip, but this doesn't expose the stripIndex and is clearly not the intended way to set this up.

Edit2: Fixed it. Did more digging. You have to turn on Experimental Operators for this to show up. That seems like not good UX to hide such a significant feature behind a checkbox in Edit/Preferences/Visual Effect Graph....

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  6. Adam_Benko

Adam_Benko

Hi, I cant seem to find the switch to data type stripe. Is it a toggle in inspector ? Is it a block that I have to paste into the initialize particle section?
    I have no idea, thanks for the help.

7. Olmi

Olmi

Hi @Adam_Benko,

I think this can be found in manual too (not sure though) but you need to first select the Initialize context block, then see the inspector. It should be there. I can't remember if you needed to activate experimental operators or not (I've included image of that location anyway.)

Here's a quick visual guide to make things easier.

Create/select an Initialize context block, it should look something like this:
    initialize_context_default.png

Select the block, then go to your Inspector panel, and select Data Type from the drop down.

inspector_strip1.png

Then it should be active. That's all you need to do. You can also adjust the capacity etc. there.
    inspector_strip2.png

Now your context block should look like this, it says Strip there:

initialize_context.png

Here's image of the experimental operators/blocks in preferences panel (just in case it was needed.)
    experimental_operators.png

thelebaron likes this.