Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

VFX Graph GPUEvent to Output Event

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by tab1887, Dec 30, 2021.

1. tab1887

tab1887

I'm currently testing the VFX Graph system for the first time, trying to create some particle fireworks like for example in Brackeys nice Youtube tutorial.

I can successfully spawn fireworks explosions at the end of the lifetime of the main "rocket" particles using GPUEvents (trigger event on die).
    Now I would love to instantiate a point light at the exact moment and position of the explosion. I would guess that I have to create an Output Event to trigger some C# script to create the light. Unfortunately I can't find any way to create this Output Event from my GPU Event, because the Output event node only takes input from a Spawn Event, which I do not have at this time. And at spawn time of the original rocket particle I do not know the end position when it actually dies.

Q: Is there any way to pass the position of a dying particle back to the CPU?

VFX.png

Bersaelor and DonPuno like this.
  2. DonPuno

DonPuno

I have the exact same issue. Funny, I am also working an a fireworks system and I would like to play a detonation sound as soon as the fireworks explodes.

Has anybody an idea how to solve this?

Bersaelor likes this.
  3. Bersaelor

Bersaelor

Same here, I also have a `Trigger Event on Die` which is connected to a GPUEvent to spawn a new particle, but I cannot get this GPUEvent to connect to the OutputEvent. Did you figure out a solution?
    Screenshot 2022-08-18 at 00.06.21.png

@VladVNeykov was talking about this exact use-case in this thread so it should be possible?
    (I'm on 2021.3)
    He did however say

4. jHardyPHI

jHardyPHI

Hi !
    After searching for months, i'm now sure that this is just not possible at all, for now
    I find that it is really misleading to call that a "GPUEvent" because it does not do what we think it is supposed to
    It's just a way to have an event started at the same time than the spawning, so it's useful in only a handful of cases
    I think i have heard that they are working on a real vfxevent, i'm really waiting for it !

DonPuno likes this.