Search Unity

VFX Graph crashes Mac if capacity is over ~1200

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by michaelthewanderer, Dec 24, 2019.

1. michaelthewanderer

michaelthewanderer

Hello,

I am having a persistent issue with VFX Graph. If I raise the capacity of a VFX Graph particle system over ~1200 particles, I get an instant spinning wheel of death, and I have to hard restart my laptop (Unity doesn't just freeze and quit, the whole Mac freezes).

I have recreated this issue with 2019.3, 2018.4, and 2020.1a. All exhibit the same behavior: VFX graph loads and runs (seemingly fine), I am able to incrementally raise the capacity up to about 1000 particles, but at some point around the 1200 mark the whole thing crashes.

Some HW specs:

Macbook Pro, 3.3Ghz i7, 16GB RAM, Intel Iris Graphics 550 1536 MB.

This is occurring in a game that makes extensive use of particle systems, and I have no problem running Shuriken systems in the hundreds of thousands of particles, with complex custom shaders etc. Not sure what's up with VFX graph, but hoping someone can point me towards as fix as I'd love to be incorporating GPU-simulated particle effects into my game.

Thank You!

2. auroraDev

auroraDev

I have this problem too.

3. shalutz

shalutz

me too

4. RoughSpaghetti3211

RoughSpaghetti3211

Did you report a bug , if you did can you link it here for us to follow.

5. shalutz

shalutz

no I didn't ,
    thought I would ask first if the above have managed some solution ...
    does this occur for you as well ?

6. yaosiqi

yaosiqi

I have the same problem as you. If the capacity exceeds 1000 on the mac, it will crash. In another post, someone asked, but no one answered

7. MinoanStudios

MinoanStudios

I have experienced this as well, but only in play mode after I added my first set of particle systems. I have maximum 300 particles per system though