Search Unity

Bug VFX Graph causing Scene and Game windows to freeze (Mac)

Discussion in 'Visual Effect Graph' started by PixelDough, Oct 19, 2022.

1. PixelDough

PixelDough

I decided to test how my game is running on my Mac, and upon opening the project, the scene and game windows were solid black (even including the tab bar itself, and all the tools). I finally narrowed it down to my VFX Graph being enabled. When I disable it, everything suddenly starts working again. That is until I enable the vfx, at which point rendering stops on the scene and game view. They don't turn back to black, they just stop rendering.

There's no errors in the console or anything

I'm running UPR in Unity 2021.3.1f1, on macOS Monterey 12.6, on an M2 2022 MacBook Air

2. PixelDough

PixelDough

Quick update: I've figured out it specifically has to do with the SetAlive block in the Output of the graph. Disabling SetAlive fixes it, but then my game runs very poorly because all the particles I'm not currently using that are pooled are constantly updating

3. PaulDemeulenaere

PaulDemeulenaere

Unity Technologies

Last edited: Oct 20, 2022
  4. curkas

curkas

I am using an Apple M1 Mac and am facing an issue with a particular game object with another game object as a child with a visual effect component is causing the Scene view to go blank. If the component is deactivated, everything works fine. It seems to be something to do with the UI scaling as the UI stretches unusually when resizing the window while the component is active.

Very frustrating and I can't seem to find a work around.