Search Unity

VFX for URP when?

Discussion in 'Visual Effect Graph' started by linojon, Feb 22, 2020.

1. linojon

linojon

Hi. Any word on if/when there will be VFX for URP?

ROBYER1 likes this.
  2. GameFinder

GameFinder

Same question!
    And does Unity have plan that Visual Effect Graph is compatible with Universal Render Pipeline with Non Compute-Capable hardware?

3. andybak

andybak

What's not working currently? URP is mainly just a renaming of LWRP and I assumed VFX Graph just worked.

You got me worried so I tried it and it seems fine.

4. cAyouMontreal

cAyouMontreal

It works in URP, with no major issues. It even works in Legacy rendering.

5. PaulDemeulenaere

PaulDemeulenaere

Unity Technologies

Hello,
    We are working on this, it's a great challenge to run efficiently the simulation on the CPU to support non compute capable hardware. We can't provide a release date yet. This is the main reason we are still considering the support for URP as partial, compute shader support isn't universal.

Meanwhile, we are also extending the support for Universal Render Pipeline, for instance, adding integration of Lit output.

6. GameFinder

GameFinder

Thanks for the answer!!!

7. Aladine

Aladine

Hey sorry to revive this out of no where, but, how does the VFX graph work with legacy rendering ?

8. andybak

andybak

Do you mean "How" as in "what are the limitations?" or more like "How do I get it to work?"?

9. Aladine

Aladine

no how as in the implementation itself, cause as far as i know bother VFX and Shader graph require a form of SRP, and i couldn't find any ressource online (official or not) that showcase any of them working with the legacy renderer.

10. andybak

andybak

Well. I've got a piece of work in https://www.museumor.com/ that uses VFX Graph and the built-in pipeline so I'm fairly sure it works on at least some Unity versions. I've used it in 2019 and most 2020 releases. Not sure about 2021.

Aladine likes this.
  11. VladVNeykov

VladVNeykov

Unity Technologies

The VFX Graph does not work with the built-in pipeline in more recent 2020.3/10.x releases, or anything after.
    It used to work in earlier versions, but it was never intended to be supported for built-in.

Aladine likes this.
  12. Aladine

Aladine

thanks for sharing that link, it's super cool!

andybak likes this.
  13. Aladine

Aladine

got it, thanks for the clarification

VladVNeykov likes this.
  14. AnthonyReyEspino

AnthonyReyEspino

Does anyone have a verified working Unity version + Android SDK legacy + device that they can confirm works with VFX Graph? It is very difficult to find all of the matching parts to get this working on a device and I know it is possible because I have seen examples online but with 2019 versions.