Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

VFX effect not showing on android

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by CrazYunderscore, Jan 21, 2020.

1. CrazYunderscore

CrazYunderscore

So, im making project using Unity 2019.2.18f1 , and have problem with VFX effects, in editor everything looks fine, effects are displayed without problem but in android build, they are not showing up.

2. aleksandrk

aleksandrk

Unity Technologies

Hi!
    What device are you running on?
    Does it say anything in the logcat?

3. Cec

Cec

Hi,
    I have same issue with Unity 2019.3.0f5 + VFX Graph 7.1.8 (URP 7.1.8)
    I have a simple VFX Graph placed in scene which is working flawlessly in editor as expected, but on android build, nothing is showing up.
    Here is the logcat

4. aleksandrk

aleksandrk

Unity Technologies

01/28 10:12:37.287 15699 16234 Debug Unity: -------- Shader compilation failed
    01/28 10:12:37.297 15699 16234 Debug Unity: 0:73: S0059: 'local_size_x' qualifier value (1024) exceeds the maximum supported size (128).

^^ That's the reason :)

I'll ping the VFX graph team

5. aleksandrk

aleksandrk

Unity Technologies

@Cec can you please make a bug report with this?
    You can try to work around by disabling particle sorting, but I'm not sure this would help.

6. Cec

Cec

Thanks for your feedback.
    I've filled a bug report (#1215087).
    Hope this will be fixed very soon.

7. soorya696

soorya696

@Cec any update on this bug?

8. soorya696

soorya696

9. aleksandrk

aleksandrk

Unity Technologies

This has been fixed on 2020.1.0a12. IDK what happened with a backport to 2019.3, will ask the VFX team.

10. soorya696

soorya696

@aleksandrk thanks for the response.
    Also please let me know about the update on backporting to 2019.3

11. douglassophies

douglassophies

I made a single bloom effect in a new project, upgraded to 2020.1.0b1 and tested a build to Android. Still no bloom on the build.

12. Cec

Cec

The issue is not really fixed for me. In the same projet upgraded to 2020.1.0b3.3385 + URP 8.0.1 + Visual Effect Graph 8.0.1 the project is launching but no VFX are visible (whereas the other gameObjects are). I'm trying to catch a log in the logcat which would explain this, but still nothing conclusive.

13. Cec

Cec

Ok. I figured it out.
    It seems that when not using Vulkan as renderer, the Visual Effects graph are not visible (Android at least). That's a huge drawback for ARFoundation since Vulkan is not (yet) supported with it. So no way to use Visual Graph with ARFoundation (with URP at least, I've haven't tested with HDRP).
    Tested on 2020.1.0b3.3385 + URP 8.0.1 + Visual Effect Graph 8.0.1

I've filled a bug report here for those interested in the issue.

14. erikabar

erikabar

Unity Technologies

Hey, Visual Effects graph requires compute shader support, which means it should run on Vulkan and OpenGL ES3.1+
    I am not sure about ARFoundation support in VFX Graph in general, maybe worth pinging in https://forum.unity.com/forums/visual-effect-graph.428/

Cec likes this.
  15. Cec

Cec

Thanks for your respond.
    I'm totally agree with you. By the way, the project I've submited to bug report is actually not working with OpenGLES 3, but is working with Vulkan. (I didn't try checking the boxes "Require ES3.1" or "Require ES3.1+AEP" or "Require ES3.2").
    Maybe the issue is occuring in conjonction with another parameter ?

I will try to reproduce it from a new basic project and come back to you.

erikabar likes this.
  16. Cec

Cec

Hi,
    I managed to find time to test a bit further.
    I tried to build with "Require ES3.1" : not working
    with "Require ES3.1+AEP" : not working
    with "Require ES3.2" : not working either.
    In my project, I have just a camera with a couple of VFX Graph in front of it. No Post processing, no ArFoundation, no extra packages...
    I stress that the couple of VFX Graph are prefabs taken from the Visual Effect Graph package samples without any transformation.
    So, from what I can see :VFX Graph is not working with OpenGLES 3 whatever the conditions.

Maybe I've missed something. If someone could test as I did to confirm the issue...
    Thanks.

17. aleksandrk

aleksandrk

Unity Technologies

@Cec what device are you trying this on?
    Does it, by chance, have a Mali GPU?

18. Cec

Cec

@aleksandrk
    Yes, that's right, I've tested on a Samsung Galaxy S9 which have a Mali GPU I believe.

19. aleksandrk

aleksandrk

Unity Technologies

Then you're out of luck :)
    Mali GPUs have only read-only support for ComputeBuffers in stages other than compute and fragment, and there is no such concept as "read only SSBO" in OpenGL ES (there is such a thing on Vulkan), so they declare ComputeBuffers as unsupported.

Cec likes this.
  20. Cec

Cec

Out of luck indeed yes.
    So it means every single Samsung Galaxy S8/9/9+/10/10+ users cannot see Visual Graph Effects with ARFoundation (ARCore)... That undermines terribly the Visual Graph interest since not much android devices are ARcore capable yet. By the way, Samsung has a huge number of devices in use actually (and the Galaxy is described as the iPhone competitor).
    Very bad news... Thanks you Samsung.

Anyway, a great (and sincere) thank you @aleksandrk for your respond. I couldn't have figured it out myself.

21. aleksandrk

aleksandrk

Unity Technologies

Nope :)
    There's two versions of each device, one with a Mali GPU and one with an Adreno GPU, they are available on different markets. E.g. US always gets devices with Adreno, EU - with Mali.

Cec likes this.
  22. Cec

Cec

Yes. If you develop apps for only US, then the issue is not a problem... but there is not only US in the world. (By the way, I don't have access to US smartphone for test). So unfortunately, we have to level from below, and Visual Effect won't be used in our production. Too bad.

23. aleksandrk

aleksandrk

Unity Technologies

Absolutely. Just saying that it's not all devices that are affected by this.

24. soorya696

soorya696

any update on this thread?
    When will be the VFX graph is going to work in URP on all android and iOS devices?

25. aleksandrk

aleksandrk

Unity Technologies

Not all Android devices support compute shaders, which are a requirement for VFX graph at the moment.

soorya696 likes this.
  26. bali33

bali33

I think you should officially state somewhere that VFX package it's not production ready for URP + mobile or at least officially write somewhere the limitations / requirements.

27. VladVNeykov

VladVNeykov

Unity Technologies

Hi @SzooX and @Cec ,
    The VFX graph is production ready only for HDRP at the moment. Both URP and mobile support (for compute-capable devices) is planned, but still in development. This thread has more information.

Please feel free to up-vote the URP integration and mobile support on our public roadmap to help us inform the development priorities.

Hi @bali33 , completely agree, while we communicated that the VFX focus was on HDRP, we need to be more explicit and manage expectations for URP/mobile support. The additional information is being added to the VFX documentations and we are expanding the package description to address that.

Thank you for your feedback!

bali33 likes this.