Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

VFX (and other) samples not work

Discussion in '2018.3 Beta' started by imaewyn, Sep 12, 2018.

1. imaewyn

imaewyn

I'm trying to setup new vfx editor. When i just install packcages everything works and I can work with effects, but when I try to add to the project sample projects from github there are errors in the console

2. elbows

elbows

You need to make sure your project is using the following package: com.unity.testframework.graphics

Thats my best guess about your problem anyway.

eg look at the manifest.json file in the TestProjects/VisualEffectGraph/Packages folder.

LeonhardP likes this.
  3. imaewyn

imaewyn

im already install this packcage
    upload_2018-9-12_15-37-15.png

4. elbows

elbows

Not sure what the problem is. The following is how I got VFX working for myself using 2018.3 beta on both windows and mac. There may be a better way to do this, but here is how I did it all manually and got test scenes working:

mkdir VFXTest
    cd VFXTest
    git clone https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/ScriptableRenderPipeline
    cd ScriptableRenderPipeline
    git checkout vfx/hdrp

Then I rename ScriptableRenderPipeline folder to SRP (to keep paths short just in case of long path issues)
    Then I move all the folders from TestProjects/VisualEffectGraph to VFXTest folder
    Then I edit VFXTest/Packages/manifest.json and change paths so that following lines have these paths:
    "com.unity.render-pipelines.core": "file:../SRP/com.unity.render-pipelines.core",
    "com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition": "file:../SRP/com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition",
    "com.unity.shadergraph": "file:../SRP/com.unity.shadergraph",
    "com.unity.testframework.graphics": "file:../SRP/com.unity.testframework.graphics",
    "com.unity.visualeffectgraph": "file:../SRP/com.unity.visualeffectgraph",

Then I open the VFXTest project in Unity 2018.3
    Then I change Player setting 'Scripting Runtime Version' to .NET 4.x Equivalent.
    Then once everything recompile/reload of Unity editor is complete, the test scenes work for me (eg Assets/AllTests/VFXTests/GraphicsTests/07_UnityLogo scene)

Like I said, this way is maybe not easiest/cleanest/best way to do it but when I was just rushing to see if I could get it working last night, this method worked for me.

5. KillerBeePers

KillerBeePers

Visual effect graph doesn't appear with me. Do we need to do another thing for it?

6. elbows

elbows

Do you mean VFX graph window not appearing for you, or you dont see the system/package at all? If the latter, this stuff is still in development and you need to get the vfx/hdrp branch from the Unity ScriptableRenderPipeline github to be able to use it. At time of writing, there is no package in package manager that lets you get VFX, you have to use github.

7. elbows

elbows

Also, since the VFX system is related to HDRP development and will be evolving well beyond the 2018.3 beta period, I started a general thread for it in the Experimental Graphics Previews subforum:

General HDRP VFX thread

8. KillerBeePers

KillerBeePers

Yeah, the package doesn't appear. I understand know, thank you!

9. elbows

elbows

Cool. And lets all be clear as to why its not in the package manager yet - its at an early stage of development, it isnt even ready to be labelled experimental/preview yet, so Unity wont be officially supporting it yet. This is a big part of the reason why I have started a VFX thread in the graphics previews forum, since although 2018.3 represents our first chance to try it, its the underlying Unity VFX API that is new with 2018.3 and the actual VFX system in all its glory is more of an ongoing feature that is being developed in public, than a 2018.3 feature.

Roni92pl and LeonhardP like this.
  10. Alissin

Alissin

11. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

@Alissin you can just use HDRP 4.3.0-preview (if you use Unity 2018.3), Package Manager already has matching Visual Effects Graph for it, it should work out of the box if you just install both from it, no need to use github (unless you specifically want to use it from there).

Edit: oh, they haven't put com.unity.testframework.graphics into regular registry yet. That package is on staging already, you would be able to use it from package manager if you add if you add following to your manifest:

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  12. elbows

elbows

To be honest although I mentioned that package in an earlier post, I wouldn't normally bother with it. I did seem to need it to run the Visual Effect Graph test project back when I first tried, but I don't think it is actually necessary to get the sample scenes to work on their own, I'm assuming its just for actually running these scenes as part of the formal testing framework procedure that Unity have.

13. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Don't forget to match the version of VFX with the version of HDRP installed. I had to do that as it's showing 5.1, so I currently need 4.3 ;)

14. elbows

elbows

At this stage its probably much easier for people to just start with the VisualEffectGraph samples project. Its already got the 4.3.0 versions of HDRP and Visual Effect Graph in its Packages/manifest.json file so the right versions will automatically be used.

https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/VisualEffectGraph-Samples

It contains 3 samples scenes at the moment, and sticky notes are used in the graph to describe many of the things that are happening.

Deleted User likes this.