Search Unity

1. Improved Prefab workflow (includes Nested Prefabs!), 2D isometric Tilemap and more! Get the 2018.3 Beta now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

Very small scale mmo?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jcfrizz, Sep 16, 2018.

1. jcfrizz

jcfrizz

Hi everyone, looking for some advice. I am interested in creating a multiplayer game, but I am a solo developer and know how incredibly difficult and basically impossible anything slightly large scale would be.

I am just wondering how difficult it would be for me to create a very small scale mmo... say, a game with multiple rooms, where each room only has a max amount of about 10 players, and each player can travel to other rooms as they please. I am very interested in learning how mmo’s are built because they are my greatest fascination when it comes to game development, but I wanted to work on creating something simple that even just I could manage. I am also thinking of a simple 2D game with pixel graphics. I have had experience in Unity for some time now and as well as in programming.

How difficult would this be, and how would I start going about this? I’m looking for any tips or advice. Thanks!

Ony likes this.
  2. Ryiah

Ryiah

What you're describing would be very easy to implement with Photon. It's built around the idea that your game is divided up into "rooms" or instances with the players spread across them.

https://www.photonengine.com/en-US/PUN
    https://doc.photonengine.com/en-us/pun/current/getting-started/pun-intro

Alternatively the Humble Unity Bundle includes a framework for MMOs. It's got a bit over two days left.

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/unity-bundle

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
    Meltdown, Ony and zombiegorilla like this.
  3. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

You’re describing a multiplayer game, not an mmo. (The first m is for massively). While there are similarities, how you design a game that supports 1000s of players vs 100 is different, both from a gameplay perspective and from a technical standpoint. Using the things @Ryiah suggested will give some insights though.

Meltdown, Kiwasi, Ryiah and 1 other person like this.
  4. Arowx

Arowx

What might be confusing is the term Rooms is sometimes used for multi-player game matchmaking, where each Room is a Lobby area where players wait to join the next game. The users would not be able to easily transfer between 'rooms'/games without returning to the Lobby and joining another game.

Or you could build a game with rooms that only allow a fixed number of players to enter a room at any one time.

Photon is a good starting place with examples.

5. Ryiah

Ryiah

Nothing prevents you from automating the lobby (at least with Photon). Basically whenever the player enters the lobby the game would check its database to determine where the player is supposed to be and send them into the appropriate room.

6. Arowx

Arowx

My point is that the OP might be thinking of Rooms as Scenes/Areas in the game not actual individual games so it would add another layer of complexity when they try to allow players to walk through the door of one room to another!

Ryiah likes this.
  7. jcfrizz

jcfrizz

Yes @Arowx you're right. What I meant by rooms is different scenes and areas of the game. Sorry I guess the term I used could be misinterpreted. So I mean for example, there is ONE individual game that is constantly running, and there are say 20 different areas of the game that the 100 players can travel between.

8. Arowx

Arowx

So that's still a 100 player game only with 20 scenes, if you want to limit scene player numbers then that would need to be built into your games 'door' logic. You would probably have an array or list of, lists of players in every scene that you check when they move into a door or portal.

In a networked game you will have a lobby system that lets players know how many games are active and how many players in each game world or room. They can also setup new games for others to join and that game lobby room will launch a game when the minimum number of players are reached or the creator launches the game.